Sunday, February 12, 2006

2nd Entry; Seeds are a promise

I restrain from trying to tell everything about me and everything on my mind all at once.
I garden; mostly vegetables; it is a passion for me. Heirloom tomatoes and hot peppers are my favorite. Back in Michigan (zone 5) I grew a great many things and had a lifetime of experience to do so. Now I live in Arizona, zone 9 and all my knowledge is out the window. It is middle February and I usually start seeds indoors while the winter howls outside. Here, I am a month already behind! It is in the 70s and I am behind schedule. Rather than starting in May, I need to be done by May, before the heat kills the buds and pollen.
There is no soil to speak of, so this year I am growing things in pots; lots of pots.
Still, it is a lovely feeling of normalcy to get my seed packets and look at the colourful images and poor the seeds onto warm muddy potting soil. Seeds are a promise; that some thing will come up and something will grow. But that is where the promise ends. What will grow/prosper here in the land of spo (and no rain) is doubtful.
I have 11 peppers and about 20 heirloom tomato types. I will keep you posted if anything works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Guy said...

Mind you--I will expect an arch of fuschia bougainvillea come visiting time.

:: Welcome to Blogging! ::

7:48 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Hey..... I am Rodger's partner of "Rodger Dodger". He referred to your posts, and seems we/you guys have at least a few things in common. I AM an AVID Vegetable Gardener as well but did just the opposite of you. Moved up here from mild California to a rain forest. I'd grown up in SE Oregon so thought I knew everything I needed to know. Poof. Nothing. Here in the rain forest slugs, blight, mold, fungus were new experiences to me. Good look in the heat...that's another challenge as well. I also have a blog page that has some pics of the garden as it comes along up here in the wet northwest. HOpe you can get a peek at: http://nwcircles.com/scuff/
And hope I can mark your site on my own page.......... I gotta see how you end up with your potted vegetable garden. / Mark (I've used rodger's name to sign in as I have no blogger account.)

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home