Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Carving Pumpkins

Getting pumpkins was a big to-do in our house. We would pile into the car, watch for fall colour, and stop at a cider mill for doughnuts and cider. That done, we went to ‘Pumpkin Alley” as my father coined it. It was a long road of farms, all selling autumn produce and pumpkins.
Even then I was particular about getting the ‘right’ pumpkin. Father made a game out of it, ‘which one was Peter Pumpkin?” meaning which one was the right one (made it sort of like letting a puppy pick you out of a litter of pups). Mother sometimes wondered why we could not have just one, but that we thought that silly. Each boy needed his own. Each potential pumpkin was examined for blemishes and for a ‘good side’ to carve. A stem was obligatory. Father usually chose an ‘odd’ one, in shape, size, or colour, probably to get us riled up with disapproval.
We would carve as a family, after dinner. Usually down in the basement or at the kitchen table. Newspapers were put down. Like father carving the Thanksgiving turkey, he opened them up. We kids would immediately stick our noses into the holes and inhale the aroma. This smell continues to induce nostalgia and euphoria. Mother would fret some if we made too much mess or weren’t putting the innards into the paper sack. She would toast the seeds while we ‘men’, father and 4 sons, did the carving.
The design of each brother’s pumpkin was drawn up weeks ago, and redone and edited many times. I insisted on a scary face. Jack-o-lanterns were supposed to scare away the ‘bad spirits’ on Hallowe’en night, so the scarier the better.
(An aside - My father has taken photographs of his family’s doings since his marriage in 1960. They are all on slides in carousels. A sort of ‘blog’ in itself, he has dozens and dozens of slide carosels. I suspect every costume we wore/every pumpkin we carved is in that collection.
One time I even found a shot of my parents in a Halloween costume party – mother was a clown and my father was IN DRAG! I nearly had a heart attack seeing this)
After the pumpkins were carved came the candles. Growing up we used long taper types.
These would constantly fall over, and had to be reinforced. Then, all the pumpkins would be lined up for the photograph.
We would guard the pumpkins on Devil’s Night to make sure they were not vandalized.
When Hallowe’en was over, I would blow out the candle in my pumpkin and declare the holiday done. I liked to leave out the pumpkin for the chipmunks to eat for their early Thanksgiving dinner.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spo,

You've captured Halloween to a tee! I don't think Norman Rockwell could not painted a better image of such wonderful times and simple childhood happiness.

Bhagwan Bill

p.s. daddy-in-drag caught me off-guard too

8:56 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I thank you for making me aware that Halloween is HUGE for some families. It sounds like you and your brothers had a great time with it. The dad in drag part would have shocked me and my 3 brothers too...it would have pushed me over the edge.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Your Halloween tradition sounds wonderful. Although I enjoy Halloween it's never been a big deal to me. Maybe I should take a cue from you and begin to celebrate it. God knows the stress of Christmas and Thanksgiving make them difficult to enjoy. So maybe Halloween is the answer.

9:25 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

What a cool family thing to do for Hallween. Halloween was never really much of a tradition when I grew up. Trick or treating was about the extent of it. I'm really getting into the idea f a harvest festival nowadays.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

What a lovely post. Though not quite as idyllic as yours, my own Halloween memories came rushing back. The photo evidence shows that I always dressed as whatever my older brother (or, with certain costumes, my older sister) had been years earlier. We were ALL Tweety Bird and Popeye, interestingly, but only Kim got to be Cinderella. I think a girl Popeye was more reflective of Mom's frugality than any expansiveness she had with gender roles. Anyway, thanks for making me all warm and smiley at 3AM!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Until last weekend, I have never carved a pumpkin. Chris & I went to this fall/pumpkin carving/cider drinking affair at a friends' house, and though it's really goopy/nasty, I had a nice time. When I was a kid, my dad was really into Halloween and usually did the pumpkin carving. Nice post, Spo.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Pumpkin carving was one of the things about this holiday that I remember fondly. You sparked some happy memories of home this morning.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Very nice post.

Good memory.

We never did any carvings. The exten of it was me buying a cotum, usually only with my mom as my dad would always say they were too expensive.

And every night till halloween I'd try it on.

But no fun memories like this.

Thanks for sharing.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

That's a wonderful tradition. As kids we went trick or treating with friends (and the obligatory tag a long parent). When I was little our costumes were always those one piece outfits with the plastic mask. They were so hot. Dad usually did the pumpkin carving at our house. I don't remember ever toasting the seeds though. Maybe I'll try it this year. One constant in our house was that after trick or treating, mom would go through all of our candy checking for pieces she thought may have been "tampered" with. Is that weird or just a worried parent?

Have a great Halloween.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I am so jealous of you guys with family traditions... that was a beautiful post. In Florida, buy the time Halloween was over, it had been so hot that the pumpkin was an imploded blog... no chipmunk or squirrel would have been interested...

Thanks for thinking of the little ones and giving them a treat!

4:51 AM  
Blogger jnuts said...

I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to visit farms and cider mills. We had none of that. God, I hate Arizona.

5:07 AM  
Blogger john said...

What a beautiful memory!!!
There is a certain scent of autumn that brings up beautiful memories for me. It's so nostalgic--the autumn air.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we grew pumpkins on our farm. Every year i would sell them out of the trailer. I would carve 10 - 20 pumpkins a year in some scene or other... graveyard, haunted house...

thank you for bringing back a good memory

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

we carve pumpkins every year

the chickens love this time of year, because of this --- this year, we didn't get many big ones from our own pumpkin patch, so we bought a few for jack o lanterns.
I'll have to remember to take pictures this weekend, 'cuz Janna is coming for her annual Halloween visit. She's sorta like the great pumpkin, but not orange:)

1:14 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Minus the cider mill and brothers you have described the Halloweens of my youth. Oh...that and the fact that dad would run to the bar as soon as the carving was finished.

I still love the smell of the candle burning the top of the pumpkin.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Aw the memories, but my favorite was after the pumpkin was carved we would light the candle in it every night. It would get all black and chared, start to shrink and eventually the top wouldn't fit. The pumpkins would finally go for their fateful ride down to the bottom of the hill we lived on. It was always fun to see how far you could get it to go, which was not to far.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

The smell of pumpkin innards fills me with nostalgia too. Ditto the smell of the roasting seeds and the taste and salty crunch of same.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

Oh, and the sinister glow of their happy smiles as they light up the den or the porch on the appointed night.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home