Friday, October 20, 2006

The New Christmas?

Scott at Purple Twinkie is one of my favorite blogs.
His links are comical; the title changes from time to time (go see them!).
Recently, the links are titled “Bloggers who think Halloween is the new Christmas”.
That hit home. That feels ‘right’ for me.

As a child, Christmas and Halloween were both magical and exciting for very different reasons. They made a nice bookend (with Thanksgiving in the middle). .

Working in a mental health field, I have seen the joy of Christmas time die. It is a time of too much pressure, too many expectations, loads of disappointments, and impossible demands to be too many places at once. All made worse by the pressure to purchase things/stimulate the economy. Then there are the dozens of patients with active depression or on the verge of killing themselves over a holiday. It is a good Christmas for me when no one kils themselves.

Halloween in contrast has no expectations or pressures. You can make it what you will. Historically, it is an accumulation of several ancient and recent cultures celebrations, like an ever growing river being fed by many tributaries. There is also the ‘spice’ of being in touch with something dark, ancient, and not conventional. The more I hear people howl for its banishment, the more it appeals. Ask a six year old, a teenager, a middle aged gay man what is ‘Halloween’ and you get very different answers.
Its’ anyone’s and everyone’s holiday, young and old. Or not. And little to no driving.

This year I will go to a Bear Club costume party. On All Hallow’s Eve I will hand out quality treats within a well decorated house. Tarot readings will be conducted. Pumpkin Ale will be consumed. I will read ghost stories, think of the dead, and recall the delights of Hallowe’ens past. I will make Someone a Hallowe’en dinner with the traditional flank steak (once a year for this meat).

Less than two weeks to go! Time to get out the trappings!

13 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Yes, the Purple Twinkie is a fav of mine as well. Your Halloween's sound like a lot of fun! Now, is there going to be any bobbing for apples this year? it really isn't Halloween if you're not bobbing...

7:00 AM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Um...my name is Scott, not Steve ;).


Funny fact: I have been called Steve (on accident) all my life. Not sure why? Maybe I look Steveish?

On a first date, my ex introduced me to a group of people, "Everyone, this is Steve." That relationship lasted for 11 years. Yeah, I'm used to it :)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I wish I understood... I love looking at the little ones that come to the door... where I live, the little ones who are at the Coalition for the Homeless always come around with their case managers to trick-or-treat... they are always SO CUTE...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Scott! I am so sorry! I meant Scott but some demon possessed me to type Steve.
I am all contrite.
Licorice is on the way.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Christmas and Thanksgiving are riddled with family obligations, the pressure of buying gifts starts to surface around TG and lasts until, well usually until your credit card gets paid off right before halloween the following year.

This is my understanding of why halloween is the greatest holiday ever!

Oh, that and it's the pagan new year when the "other side" opens up for a visit!

2:19 PM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

Sounds like Halloween is a lot of fun at your place Spo! I will be working a large chunk of beggars night. Actually, I will be going home just about the time to pick off a few WWE impersonators.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Now someone must really love Halloween here...I wonder who?!! Hehehe! You're sounding almost as gleeful as those kids that trick-o-treat.

4:06 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

When Halloween first started to become an adult holiday, I resented it, thinking it just more commercialization, but I've come to see it more as an alternative to the travesty that Christmas has become.
Your party sounds fun.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I am a halloween lover, always have been.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

Halloween is clearly the best holiday for any number of reasons. Nothing, not even suicide, seems to spoil it for me.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Sorry I tend to disagree. The holiday's are what you make them to be. As I said I tell friends and this year family, no gifts,I make no promises to be anywhere if invited. I know I sound like a stick in the mud but it has realeased the pressure and I really enjoy the holidays once again.

As for Halloween, it can be pretty stressful to pick out the right costume and up here the big thing is you can't wear the same costume to different parties. Some parties have themes you need to match too and then there is the candy. Here the kids will snub their nose at your dish if it's not "the good stuff".

Of course as I am finding out I seem to live in a fish bowl of some type. Very different from the rest of the world.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Ur-spo, today is Satuday. You and Someone need to get your butts here. LOL! It's the day of the big Hallowe'en Parade in my town.

I won't make it to the parade. I'm helping with Saturday evening service tonight.

Trick or treat night is next Thursday. Should we have a special bag of treats ready for you?

(P.S. I'm glad I'm getting better at the pics. I'm working on some more. I am seriously trying to think of a good way to do the "present", but in addition to that, I think I'd like to wait a little longer in my BRP.)

HUGS! Have a great weekend!

8:50 AM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I guess I never realized how into Halloween people get. This holiday can come and go, and I wouldn't blink...you're making me think about it differently...BOO! See?

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home