Thursday, October 12, 2006

How Does That Make You Feel?

Note - It has been an awful week between feeling sick/down and having an obscene workload. I've had no time; and my mind is fried. I couldn't think of anything clever for today's entry. So I am posting a 'rerun'.
I thought this one well done, but it was written at a time when few were dropping by.
Sorry for the lack of originality. Ur-Spo
How does that make you feel?

My mother is a very poor liar. I’ve seen her try to lie twice in my lifetime. Both times she stammered and looked obviously guilty. I’ve wondered if the ability to pull off a lie (or not) has a genetic component, as I haven’t had much success at it. Besides the moral disapproval, it is so hard to get it right.I hope some body can help me out on this, but I vaguely recall a movie in which an actress plays twins. When one drowns the other assumes the role of the deceased. It was tiring watching her attempting to remember which one she was. Recently I thought of this when I did something similar. The phone rang; it was a telemarketer. He asked if I was who I am and I said no, I was his friend. Then I tried to cover for myself. Then I took a message for myself. I was asked when I would be home. By then I was losing my grasp of my identity.

Afterwards I worried. I fretted not only about being a liar but the possible consequences. Since I sounded devious, he could have presumed I was a burglar and called the police. He may have leapt to the conclusion since I was away Someone was taking advantage of the situation to have over a stranger and our reputation would be in tatters. This would also make me look a fool.

I now regret I embarked on such a web of pretense. I should have been clean right up front with the telemarketer to go screw himself.

It is often unpleasant to be honest but it does save trouble in the end.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel said...

Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive.

How well I know.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

I love to lie to telemarketers! I would hate hate hate that job. My Grandma blows a whistle into the phone. She does it to heavy breathers too.

Can anyone say paranoia? I can say it but I don't think I can spell it. ?????

1:19 PM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

paranoia
a psychological disorder characterized by delusions of persecution or grandeur


Yes. I can spell it.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Don't feel too bad, most telemarketers know of the "I'm a friend" trick that people pull, it's much better and much preferred to the whistle in the ear, and yep, I've been on the receiving end of both.

I'm a terrible liar on the spot, but if I can think about it for a while I'm deadly convincing, which is scary, so I don't lie unless it means sparing someones where the truth would do no good to anyone.

2:06 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

That was too funny! That telemarketer couldn't care less, he just went on to his next victim.

Next time, tell him you can't talk right now and ask him for his name and telephone number to call him back. Then you'll know what a real liar sounds like. :)

3:06 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I don't remember the last time I felt guilty. OH MY... Sometimes you have to tell little, lies and that's okay if it's not hurting anyone.

RING, RING...

Hello, is this Michael Ur-Spo

Yes it is

Hi, my name is Bambi and I'm calling from Discover card...um you have been preapproved for a no annual fee Discover card.

I'm not interested.

Um...yes, all I need is for you to give me your DOB and we'll send it out to you today...

No thanks...good bye...

Sir, why wouldn't you want to try this card for free, it doesn't cost you...

I'm sorry, my GNOME just caught on fire and I have to put it out! GOODBYE!!!

CLICK

See how easy that is?

6:43 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I think the movie you're referring to was Sisters, with Margot Kidder as the twin. What do I win???? lol.

I used to get in trouble a lot when I was young because even when I was innocent, I looked guilty. Not sure why?

I hope you feel better buddy!!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Maddog said...

This post hit home today. I did something today that I shouldn't have and I have to face up to it tomorrow. I could make up a million stories as to why it happened but reading your entry confirms what I already knew. The truth will do just fine.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

LOL, I screw with the telemarketers all the time. You should hear some of the stuff I say. Some of them even laugh and tell them it made their night.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

I always tell telemarketers that I'm the maid and can't discuss anything with them. They usually catch me in the middle of doing dishes or something, so I have the correct sense memory to make the act convincing.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home