Tuesday, October 03, 2006

37 Things about Spo


Here are 37 things about me I thought may be curious for Spo-fans to read

1) I was supposed to a “Martha” when I was born.
2) I am board certified in both Neurology and Psychiatry but I don’t do the former anymore. I started off in Cardiology.
3) These are careers I almost had < Astronomer, Animation/graphic designer for Walt Disney World (I would have lived in Orlando, Spider and Sorted!), Church Organist, and Professor of Botany.
4) I have arachnophobia. It’s greatly improved but tarantulas still give me panic attacks. When I knew I was moving to the Southwest, I went through a treatment called EMDR, which seemed to diminish the phobic reflexes.
5) My favorite city is Vancouver.
6) Twice in my life I have been a vegetarian, and I am slowly becoming one again.
7) I love storms, the worse the better. I sorely miss Midwest thunderstorms.
8) Apart from The Weather Channel, I don’t watch television
9) The majority of foods I eat as an adult I either hated or never heard of as a child.
10) I knew I was ‘different’ somehow at six years old.
11) Both of my parent’s paternal families go back 12 generations here on North America. (both sides came over to Massachusetts in early 1600s)
12) I did drag only once. A friend threw a “Come as your Mother” party. I came as Elizabeth I. The hoop skirt would not fix in the taxi, so I had to walk to the party. On Halsted St. in Chicago this didn’t get much attention.
13) Someone is my first real try at a relationship; next January it will be 10 years
14) I have never seen a ghost; this is a disappointment
15) I have been through 2 psychoanalysis; one Freudian, the other Jungian. I don’t recall any benefit to the first one, but the 2nd one was very therapeutic.
16) I very much want to see Ireland and Greece, even though I have no blood of either.
17) I can not eat cheesecake without becoming ill.
18) My Godfather is George. While I am a WASP turned Catholic, he is African-American and Lutheran. He is the closest man I know to be a Saint.
19) With few exceptions, I think men look better with whiskers.
20) Tea is my drink of choice – hot or iced; white, green, oolong, black, or red - it’s my elixir of life.
21) I fear being sued.
22) In my goal to see all of Shakespeare’s works, I am missing only “Love Labor’s Lost”
23) I am left handed
24) I can not throw a ball, which may be related to 23.
25) I want to meet every person on my blog link.
26) I hate cruelty; I still find it shocking even though I am never surprised.
27) I have never hit anybody.
28) Soup is my food of choice; so many soups, so little time
29) I have never smoked marijuana or tobacco or done XTC, or cocaine.
30) Six times in my life I thought I had a personal Armageddon, only to have survived each one.
31) When I am down or taking life too seriously, I watch The Marx Brothers
32) The worse pain I have experienced was a week’s worth of migraine headaches. They have never reoccurred.
33) All my family but one went to the University of Michigan (Go Blue!)
34) Vain about my skinny legs, I seldom if ever wear short pants in public. This is in contrast to my complete ease to be nude in clothing optional places.
35) Macaroni and cheese is the comfort food of choice.
36) Activities I miss doing < two stepping, growing tomatoes, using a fireplace with real wood, taking classes in a classroom with others.
37) I have never purchased a lottery ticket.

19 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

#1 - I was supposed to be a Samantha... go figure
#3 - RATS - you are always welcome in Orlando
#13 - Sounds like a pretty good try to me! Congrats!
#35 - Check out Lifes Colorful Brushstroked (Tony) for a discussion on Mac and Cheese today...

Great list - you ARE an interesting man! Hope you are not to arachnophobic to come back to the web to visit...

6:02 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

#13 Congratulations! May you have MANY more times 10 years of happiness together!

#17 I'll gladly relieve you from the cause of your nausea. Pass it to me and no one will get hurt!

#32 I used to suffer from migraines and I totally agree. They bring life to a halt with incredible pain. I've learned to avoid what appears to trigger them so I've had very few for a good number of years. One trigger for me is certain blends of chocolate. the last major migraine I had was when I treated myself to a small piece of the new Hershey's Special Dark.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Well...thanks for sharing Spo. It's nice to learn that much more about you. I saw that Mac'n'Cheese snuck in there.

A week's worth of migraine headaches...sheez, try a lifetime of them and or cluster headaches. SPO, no offense, but the doctors aren't worth a damn when it comes to trying to help me.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Great list Ur-Spo!

There's several things on that list that I can relate to, and some I can't, like I'm left handed but used to be a pitcher when I was younger, and I used my right hand, go figure.

I've also never tried any drugs myself, I did smoke tobacco once when I was nine, I thought I'd die I coughed so much, can't stand tobacco smoke to this day, except for cigars which I will occassionally partake of, though I've never bought one for myself, ditto on the lottery tickets.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Can you help me with my biological psych paper?
I have migranes that last for a week! Dyslexia sparks them!
I have trried almost every type of drug except heroine.
Right hand, I have only ever had 1 cup of tea. I have hit others only in self protection.
Thanks for sharing a little more about Spo!!!

12:59 PM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on a ten year relationship and many more! I, too, am left handed and I sight with my left eye, but I throw darts with my right hand. (I am actually pretty good.) Go figure.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Great list, but why 37- I thought you were 36 ;)

There are too many Phx bloggers to not have a get together and meet up. I miss the violent weather of the midwest as well. I think I would be a meteorologist/storm chaser if I had to do it over again.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spo,

We were all supposed to be Martha. Be thankful you weren't named after a downbound freighter by parents tired of trying to have a little girl.

Congrat on coming upto 10 years with Someone. He is a true catch that we adore having!

Bhagwan Bill

5:13 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I was supposed to a “Martha” when I was born.

But you are! Just look at those shirts you make and the tomatoes you used to grow. The one exception...your gnome...but after 10 years together...I guess you didn't have a choice.

Great list!

6:47 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

my ditto list:
3- church organist. I actually was for quite a while.but no botany.
7-Love storms. the good place for storms out here is on the top of a mountain. It can be rather dangerous, however.
14-ditto, other kinds of stuff, but no ghosts.
16- yes, especially the west coast of ireland, where they built all those monasteries on craggy little rocks jutting out of the sea.
20-Love tea of all sorts, but I also love espresso.
22-Haven't seen them all, but I have read them all, quite a few several times.
23-ditto
25-I have very deep desire to meet the bloggers with whom I have formed relationship.
26-I have never understood cruelty or wilful deception.
31-Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton. There's something about the silent film genre that captivates me.
35-Macs and cheese is a favorite of mine.

10:41 PM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Nice list. I always love lists like this. I should re-vamp mine.

I love storms too. I suppose it's one positive thing about being a desert dweller.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

I love that it was 37 things about you. Not 25, not 50 but 37. It made me laugh. I hope we get 37 more soon. It was great getting to know you better. I can't believe you have never bought a lottery ticket nor have you ever hit anyone. Where I am from those things are just a given although I am not terribly proud of either of them.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I too was like, 37?!

It's fun to hear new things about you.

Congrats on the 10 years.

Could we hear how wild Michael was before Someone came along?! lol

Thanks Michael!?

PS Montreal awaits your visit!?

7:06 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

37 was somewhat picked as I ran out of thoughts right then.
Then I thought "37" had an odd, quirky off feeling to it.
It seemed apt for the list.
I'll do another 37 some other time.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only got as far as #2 before I wanted to leave a comment asking: can you prescribe? :)

3:32 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

that was fascinating, thanks for sharing those. Isn't it funny how our tastes in food (#9) change so drastically as we get older.

:)

1:41 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

31. I get the box set of I Love Lucy.
35. GOOD CHOICE

FYI
You probably already know but.....
:-)8 means "wearing a bow tie".
I thought that was cute.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

I've had migraines since I was a kid, before kids were considered capable of having migraines. I was informed that I was just trying to get out of gym class. They are atrociously horrible. But actually I have been in more physical pain than that. Don't ask, it's gross.

I have seen many ghosts and been grateful for each visit.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

#34 cracked me up and your a doc, what's up with this one? Nice list. I like it when bloggers share.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home