Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Random Thoughts VI

I enjoyed my Chicago trip, but the travel and pace precipitated a cold. I normally don’t get colds, so it comes as an annoying surprise. It is has the usual symptoms of sore throat, congestion, cough, low grade fever, malaise and personal guilt for going to work. This is my first cold owning a hot tub, so I plan to use it every night. My skin may dry out but it feels good on the aches and muscles.

There has been no time or energy to get out the Hallowe’en props and decorations. It is hard to get into these seasonal holidays when the Arizona weather doesn’t change. Only sign of autumn is darkness when I get up in the morning. Otherwise the AC runs and it remains clear and hot. I miss fall colour. We hope to go north in a few weeks, to find some leaves and pumpkins.

Work has been unpleasant. Far too many people taking their medications irresponsibily and demanding more of them. One woman thought me unfair when I would not renew her Xanax only a week after she got a month’s supply. She ‘lent it out to others’ and therefore needed more. ‘Well, what are my family supposed to do? They take it as well!”

I am started the Spanish lessons with Rosetta Stone. These are fun to do. It is too soon to see if it is ‘sinking in’ or not.

In the evening when I write up progress notes, I record old cassette tapes into the laptop for future transfer to CDs or iPODs. It is cheery to hear old tunes I've not heard in decades. Some bring back good memories.

*This weekend the Bears of the West are doing a booth at a Rainbow Festival here in Phoenix. If any Phoenician blogggers are reading this, I will be there on Sunday morning until noon time.
Stop by, say hello, and let me meet you!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

Gatorade and Vit C is working for me...Hope you feel better soon

8:23 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Add my wishes for a speedy recovery.

I cannothelp but wonder if Ms Xanax "lent" out her supply "at a profit".

8:51 AM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I will be at the Festival on Saturday, but will also be downtown on Sunday for the Susan Kohman Race for the Cure...I'll try to make it by your booth. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hope you feel better soon!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Oh come on Spo - every family need a pusher, I mean a pharmasist...

9:28 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I hear good things about the Rosetta Stone program. I also had a boss (nut-case) who brought it to work to practice her Spanish. Her husband, who is getting up there in years, would shout out "INS!" "GREEN CARD!" You also had to get the visual - it was pretty funny.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Remember to get lots of rest and pamper yourself. Also wanted to let you know that I was disappointed to hear it takes more to get Xanax from you than just asking. Now what am I going to do?

2:42 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I hope you're able to let the stress go when you come home.
You mean you have to get Xanax from a doctor? Next they'll make Ritalin prescription!
Oh, and I always stress comprehension over production. If you can find ways to "do" the language, it speeds things up enormously.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Now I know why you didn't ask us "how it makes us feel" this week.

Take care!?

And yes, use that hot tub!?

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home