Friday, October 27, 2006

Morgen's Weird MEME

Dearest Morgen at Blog Eat Blog World is doing a fine job whipping up enthusiasm for a festive Hallowe’en. I’ve seen his Hallowe’en MEME circulate with success. Now he asks me to do a “Weird” MEME in the spirit of the season. I’ve been tagged.
I don’t have to look far for examples. When you are a shrink, ‘weird’ comes through the door all the time. Alas, I am not too ‘weird’. I often think I am rather bland. Here are some weird things about me<

Weird #1) I need to sleep holding a pillow. I don’t recall how/when this habit started but without a pillow to wrap myself around I can’t sleep well.

Weird #2) When a disgruntled female employee complained I had sexually harassed her, one of the items I had to defend/prove was I had NOT given her my gallstone as a paperweight. Lifting up my shirt for the medical board to show ‘no scars’ is more than just weird.

Weird #3) There are ~200 US citizens with my name. One of them is a doctor who practices in Arizona. His calls/prescriptions and referrals constantly get mistaken for mine. (he is OB-GYN MD, which is amusing at times).

Weird #4) I usually can’t be in the same room with the TV on as it funnels my attention whether I want it to or not. If I want to do something and Somone is watching TV, I go to the other side of the house.

Weird #5) My religious upbringing was determined because the wrong man came to the door; when my father went to register us at the parish, Fr. Somebody answered. My dad recognized and didn’t like him. So he turned around, came home, and asked my mother to take us to her church rather. So we were all raised Protestant.

Weird #6) I have arachnophobia; but scorpions, snakes, rats, and other nasty things that ought to evoke fear do not upset me.

Weird #7) My parents have never fought or raised their voices to each other. Even we children thought this weird.

Weird #8) I would love to be on a jury, and get excited every time I am summoned. I am always discarded.

Weird #9) I have worked in ERs, seeing and treating the most traumatic gore without flinching or being horrified, but I can not watch violent movies as they upset me.

“Weird with a beard” as we say in my house.

9 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

WEIRD with a BEARD - very funny. This list is very telling Michael. My parents didn't fight in front of us either...we never saw it - I'm not sure if it ever happened. Perhaps this is the reason your parents and mine had four boys? Now that's WEIRD WITH 8 BEARDS.

6:21 AM  
Blogger john said...

I also have to sleep with a pillow--hugging one anyway.

Also like you--things in the E.R. or O.R. don't bother me. But I get freaked out watching Halloween type gore movies.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Michael, do you really prefer a pillow to Someone to wrap yourself around? That is, in fact, weird!

Sorry to say that everything else--- except, perhaps, your parents' never fighting--- seems really pretty normal. But perhaps that's because I have a pretty weird life myself.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

excellently weird meme
Isn't it strange that what we often think of as weird in ourselves, others find quite normal?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I get a smile out of how you change your profile photo to reflect the seasons or some holiday. I'm beginning to think of you as a man of many identities.

8:45 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

Weird # 2
Using sexual harrassment fraudulently, as a tool for sour grapes.........there's no word to describe it. The indignity it caused for you, not to mention the aftermath. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. We all have *so called* weird habits, but she was mentally unstable.

Gave her your gall stone as a paper weight??? I have heard a lot of false accusations but that is one for the books.

9:40 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

Okay, the jury duty bit is truly weird. Sorry Spo...I really didn't think you that weird but now you've outed yourself.

I get called every year and will jump through hoopskirts to get out of going. A jury box is the last place I ever want to spend time.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Maddog said...

You sound pretty normal to me. Except for the parents not yelling thing. I grew up thinking everyone yelled and screamed at each other. It wasn't until I went off to college that I discovered that this was not the norm.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Nah! Not weird. Just interesting.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home