Thursday, December 07, 2006

Aunt Peg

I’ve been to Michigan and back again.
I was home for a funeral. My great Aunt Margaret “Peg” died this week. She was 96.

A remarkable woman! She did not take any medication in her life. She wasn’t ‘against them’ – she simply did not need any! Her blood pressure, cholesterol, and thyroid functions were good; her joints were OK; she wasn’t in pain. She merely died of ‘old age’.
She was the youngest of 5 children, my grandfather being #3 of 5.
Aunt Peg was the family genealogist. She was proud of our roots, which she traced back to 1630 to England and beyond. (Like Prior Walter in "Angels of America", we are a long descended WASP family from New England and England). When I showed interest, she was thrilled to share it with me. So we two were the keeper of the family history records.
Our only quibble was she liked the good, noble heroic deeds of our ancestors. I liked the dirt and scandals.

I had forgotten she was a professional model in her youth. During the 1930s and 40s she had photographs in national magazines like LIFE. I’ve seen a few; she is stunning. She resembled Norma Sherrer. Aunt Peg kept her looks too. Lucky woman.

We laid her to rest in Oakland County in Michigan – in a cemetery where the last 7 generations of my ancestors lie buried. She is buried near John R (who came to Michigan in 1780), and his descendants John A. , Edward J. , Klebar, Edward G. and Edward G.
Edwards G was my grandfather; my father is Thomas R.– and then there is I. I am generation #12.

She was the last of that "10th generation". Now my parents are in the ‘oldest generation’ and I am in the middle generation.

I will miss her.

20 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel said...

My condolences to you and your family. Your Aunt Peg sounds like quite a wonderful person. As you carry on the interesting work of your family genealogy you can do so as a tribute to all that she brought to life.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Doug Taron said...

My condolences. She sounds like she was a remarkable person.

I was emailing Someone on Tuesday and asked about your Michigan trip, so I knew what was up. Glad you are back home safe and sound.

9:21 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

A rich and full life. From what you relate of her, I hear no tones of bitterness or regret. A well lived life and a rich legacy, indeed.

9:42 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sorry for your loss. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.
It sounds like your Aunt was a remarkable woman. I'm glad that she lived her life to the fullest.

9:51 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

I, as well, am so sorry for your loss Ur-Spo. She must have been a remarkable woman...

10:44 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

96? God love her. You will miss her and I'm sorry for that. Life goes on Spo, but a little bit empty for us that have lost someone we love.

3:49 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

What a great life she had - sorry to hear of your loss.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

She sounds like a great lady. I hope I am as lucky as she was in the respect that I can live a full, long and healthy life. I am sorry for your loss.

Stephen

4:04 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

A life such as that is worthy of celebration not sorrow. Of course she'll be missed but your memories of her are obviously fond ones.

My condolences to you and your family.

4:58 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

We should chat sometime about Genealogy, it's been one of my life's passions. I've been at it since my pre-teen years, and haven't stopped since.

I'd love to see a few of those Life photo's I'm sure you could still find them, perhaps even online.

I am assuming (because of the early date of 1780) that you have at least some French Canadian blood. They were there very early from the provinces of both Ontario & Quebec (naturally).

6:08 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

I wondered why you rushed back to MI so precipitately -- and without offering to do lunch! I myself had an Uncle Peg who died at 97. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

No wonder you're so good looking...I love the dirt and scandals too. Especially the murder plots.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

I am so sorry for your loss - she sounds like she was a great woman... and you have many wondeful memories...

7:17 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Your Aunt Peg sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm sure she was loved and treasured by all. It's always hard to lose someone you love, but how great that she lived such a wonderful, fulfilled life.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

How sad to have lost such a fine lady. The need to discover the naughty side of the fam will disipate (sp?) with time and when you are a "big boy" you will find honor more desirable. I'll just betcha!

96 is an achievement in itself! I don't have what it takes to make it that far, I'm pretty sure.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Spo...
My condolences on the loss of your aunt. How incredible that she made it to 96. My grandmother passed away at 94. Those numbers blow me away. Hugs.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss...she sounds like she was a wonderful woman. And to not have taken any meds her whole life? Amazing!

I was born and raised in Oakland County, MI, and plan to be buried there. Maybe I'll get to meet her then.

My best to you.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Just remarkable!

Your aunt is a great woman, a great Lady.

From the tone of your post, I can see that you're ok about this. Keep it up. I'm sure she knows and is very proud.

All my love Ur-spo.

Joel

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Sorry for your lost Michael. She sounds like an amazing woman.

*Hugs*

6:49 PM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

hello my friend
I could feel your energy here in the mitten this week
I'm sorry for your loss, but I know that your love will keep her alive in your heart.
I tend to believe we're truly not gone as long as someone remembers us.
hope you can get some rest (after the office party, of course!) this weekend.
~ mo

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home