Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Shoulds

“Shoulds” are matters one feels badly about not doing. Guilt and/or shame arise when these are not done. Some Shoulds are philosophical or moral; others are voluntary decisions – ‘I should be doing this every day because if I don’t there are consequences”.

How many “Shoulds” can I come up with? Every day I should do the following:

A morning prayer of thanksgiving for the day.
Practice relaxation breathing techniques
Floss my teeth.
Make the bed
Eat some sort of breakfast
Drink green tea
Strain the cat’s litter box.
Read – and respond – to email.
Put any dirty dishes into the dishwasher.
Water all the plants in containers.

Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables.
Practice the piano.
Practice the pan pipes
Do another Spanish lesson on the Rosetta Stone
Take all daily prescriptions and vitamins
Fetch and open the mail
Give Someone a hug
Write all progress notes and evaluations that occurred that day.
Return all phone calls from work
Read some of the daily newspaper that arrives each morning.
Prepare and eat a balanced dinner.
Brush the cat.
Write a daily blog entry.

Visit blogs (nicknamed 'making rounds')
Do my daily routine of yoga/stretches
Read something/anything, not work related.
Write in my diary.
Evening prayer of thanks for the day being done

Somewhere in all this I am supposed to hold a job and do the things I would like to do!

(post-script: perhaps, on a good day, I do a fraction of this list. These are 'shoulds" not what I do. Such is life.)

15 Comments:

Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

I don't think I would feel to awful guilty for not making the bed. The only reason I make it is usually because I want to fold laundry on it.

But don't neglect the cat!

Have a good day today!!

7:35 AM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Relaxation breathing is a biggie for me. I do it all the time...even when I don't realize it.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I doubt you could get through all those "shoulds" in one day even if you were a retired insomniac on speed.

My family was extremely conservative. Making the bed, with hospital corners where the sheets were tucked under and making sure the bedspread covered everything that could be considered bedding was a mania. It was a holdover Victorian sensitivity that what went on in beds was sinful (well, of course!, except I don't think of any of what I do in bed as sin - particularly when I'm with another man).

Now I throw the covers up and may or may not put the bedspread up over the pillows. I did that once as a kid and my mother started yelling, "an OPEN BED! You cannot leave AN OPEN BED!!"

It's a wonder that I grew up to become the fine, well adjusted and totally happy homo that you know and love today.

10:02 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Your list is somewhat daunting. I don't do almost everything on it, but had managed to not feel guilty about it.

Until Now.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your list rocks... it is much like mine.. except i inject copious amoutns fo writing in between the other tasks.

and i agree with Butterfly.. give your kitty some loving.. he or she is more than willing to return it!!!

btw... what god and/or goddess do you thank?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Now you know you should never "should" on yourself... but I will be the first to admit I can not walk out of the house without making up the bed... I just can't do it...

12:48 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

I was very pleased to see flossing on your list. :)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like the glass is half-full. Life is not about 'should'!

7:07 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, BAH!

Don't give yourself guilt...that's what mothers are for.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

I might accomplish all of that in a week's time, but not on a daily basis. We're human afterall :P :)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

I got tired just reading this list. For me there are very few things that I feel like I have to do everyday. This is probably not a good thing but it's where I am today.

The one thing not on your list.

You SHOULD take some time for yourself to do whatever you want in that moment.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Love the list...I bet I couiild beat you out on the length of mine...I am so bad on some things, especially as of late!!!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

You of all people are suppose to know never "should" you may like to, but never "should".

You do need a shrink.

My hours are Monday to Friday...lol

5:35 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

just don't give me no Effexor!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrgh! And I'm retired,so I "should" be able to do all of those things. I can only claim that I get eleven done on most days.

Actually, thanks to Wellbutrin and God, your post amused me rather than guilt-whacking me.

I enjoy your writing.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home