Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lorreena

Now that the holiday season is approaching, I can get out the Christmas CDs. I have plenty. I wanted to share with you one of my favorites albums, by Loreena McKennitt.

Loreena McKennitt is a Canadian singer whom I used to know slightly. She is a friend of friend in Stratford. I remember her over at his house back in the early 80s when she was a chorus girl at the Festival. He would design some of her greeting cards. Later, when she came to Chicago for a concert, I met up with her afterwards. (The audience was half empty; me and several displaced Canadians, wild with happiness as they could not normally get a ticket to see her back home).
Over the years she has become internationally famous and I am no longer in touch with her. But I adore her music. It is a combination of Celtic, Moroccan and other folk music. She is popular with the New Age folks, Mystics, Celtic music lovers. Her lyrics often are ballads, with lyrics from the poetry of Yeats or Shakespeare. This is her “Christmas” album “To Drive the Cold Winter Away’. I use the term “Christmas” loosely as while there are carols referring to Christ’s birth the whole album has a more ancient feel to it. I call it my “Solstice” album. Missing are the usual Christmas tunes. Rather she has a combination of ancient carols (example; the Wexford Carol) and some of her own. Her song” Snow” is gorgeous.
I point it out as a marvelous holiday CD. I point her out as a marvelous singer.

By the way, she now has her new album out! It only took 10 years of waiting!

14 Comments:

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Thanks for enlightening us. Culture in society is a never ending source of education.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Thanks for the heads up and recommendation. I will try to look her up. From your description I think I would like her music very much.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO, MY FRIEND

HUGZ

8:03 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Need to go check this one out! Hope you and Someone have a wonderful and restful Thanksgiving...

8:51 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I have been listening to Loreena for quite awhile now. My favorite album is The Visit. That was my first experience listening to her. I will have to check out her Christmas album
Happy Thanksgiving

9:05 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

Love, love, LOVE HER!!!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger john said...

My favorite Christmas album is one by Amy Grant.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

For those of you who don't know her, The Visit and The Book of Secrets are some of her best.

This "Christmas" album is really good, but it's not Jingle Bells.

Can't wait to get her new album.

They're actually all pretty good. She's an artist that when a new album is out, I don't question, I just buy.

Hope you enjoy!?

Have fun!?

Happy TG my American friends!?

Joel

10:13 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can use it for our Holiday Party without offending anyone.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like her as well, but sometimes the sadness of celtic music drives me mad... which is just a short jaunt to the store away...

enya is nice, but she suffers from being overly dramatic.

i tend to stick to the guitar of William Ackerman and etherial gustiness of secret garden and 2002.

but sometimes when i am sad, loreena is just the ticket

5:45 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Beautiful CD cover - I love the colors.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

My favorite Christmas CD is by the Roches. I heard it in a clothing store one year that my boyfriend was working in and I wouldn't let him leave until I found out who it was.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I think she's fantastic. Happy Thanksgiving, UrSpo. Big hugs.

12:19 AM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

Cool! I love her! I will have to pick it up.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home