Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Even the Pope has a Confessor

This clever statement was coined by C.G. Jung. He is emphasizing that even caretakers need some care taking from time to time. When I attend a movie in which a therapist is talking about his/her problems with their own therapist, I often hear snickering in the audience. They think ‘how can this person be caring for others if they have to be helped themselves?” I think differently; this person is getting supervision and assistance and is a wise counselor indeed. A basic premise in psychology is one doesn’t easily see one’s own Shadow; you need others to help you see it and deal with it.

Back in Evanston I had my mentor and analytical professor across the hall for assistance. I knew he had someone as well.
In Michigan I was a member of a ‘men’s peer group’. This consisted of eight counselors, all men, who met for breakfast every other week. We discussed cases and somewhat took aided each other’s hang-ups and troubles. I miss being part of this group. I was somewhat ‘odd man out’ as they were all social workers; I was the only psychiatrist. But it kept me in touch with my counseling skills. And in exchange I helped them with ‘medication questions’. Mostly I miss the camaraderie

I don’t have such a set up here in Arizona as I don’t know anyone and my job is not set up to ‘meet people’. I work long hours; I get my lectures and updates on CD-ROMs (no longer going to conferences and conventions). I work with another doctor but when I am in clinic “A”, he is in “B” and vice versa. He is a ‘different cup of tea” so what little professional and personal interaction we’ve had hasn’t been fruitful either for ideas or for friendship.

Blogging has taken over for the mentioned group. It is where I go to escape the day, unload and to think. Now if only I could some of you over for breakfast

17 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel said...

Ur-spo you are right on! Your snickering colleagues need some slappin' upside the head.

I have yet to meet any person who has his act all together. Somewhere, somehow there are flaws and "chinks in the armor". We need each other. We need someone (whom we trust) that we can bounce our ideas, our needs, our problems, whatever.. off of.

And I will affirm with you that my fellow bloggers are my "confessors".

Oh, if only we could all meet face to face in a cafe over breakfast once a week! How sweet!

6:20 AM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

My colleague group quite literally kept me alive during a bad part of my life. It doesn't matter how introverted we are, we still need people. (Ok,sing it everyone, "People, people who need people...)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

We have discussed this quite a bit in some of my classes the past 3 years. It will become a major part of our own personal wellness. Everyone needs support of some kind, be it a breakfast group or blogging. As long as you are getting out of it what you need. A lot of the organizations here are now adopting debriefing groups that meet on a monthly basis for at least a 1/2 day to address the stressors.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I too wish we could be closer.

You are right. If the people that are snickering could only do the same thing, life would be better for everyone.

We need an ear sometimes. We need a wall to bounce our ideas off of.

I was third in the chain at work(pre panic) and I kept telling people I was training that even after seven years I'm still learning.

The clients that call me know I know what I'm talking about. And they know that I'm not afraid to say "let me confirm this and I'll get back to you" because I'll go get the right answer.

It is one of the things my boss likes about me. I don't pretend to know it all. I'm not afraid to show I'm still to learn.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Even in our personal life we need someone like that.

A lot of times I'll be the friend and then I turn into the "Devil's advocate".

Most of my friends know me now so they know what to expect.

Some don't know me that well and think what I'm saying, to make them think, is my personal view and hate me cause they think I'm against what they're thinking.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a revealing post and I like it. In my depressive mid-life crisis in my early 40's I QUIT seeing a therapist who after the first three episodes was doing all of the talking and starting each sentence with, "When I had my crisis....." and I found I was sitting there going "oh, yes, and how did that make YOU feel?". I quit going, but on the other hand....that cured me of my own depression.
You've just made me like and respect you a great deal with the feelings expressed in this post. The human psyche is so complex it truly is sad if someone even half believe they know everything important. MORE sadly, the joy you miss not enjoying the richness of friendship on every level. Thanks.

10:41 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

I wished that we lived close enough for breakfast get-togethers too! :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Old Pastor said...

Always a listening ear here -- and often that is exactly what we need. We don't necessarily need "advice" etc, but to know tha tsomeone is listening

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a sounding board from time to time. Whether it be the breakfast or lunch or just a phone call away, it helps clear the fog from one's eyes. Great post, this should drive some people to thinking about this again!

12:46 PM  
Blogger DEREK said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4:35 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

CHOMPIES! You don't even have to cook :)

6:15 PM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

I too know how you feel. I am tired of being a mom/housewife and wonder what I could do that would be fruitful.Where am I needed in this world?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Breakfast... two eggs, scrambled, four sausage patties, bacon, toast, orange juice and coffee please... a flower on the table would be nice...

8:33 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Blogging serves much the same function for me, and I suspect many bloggers. Sometimes we have to look abroad to find the people who can reflect back to us. I'm thankful for the internet.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

My new job at the reform school leaves me in dire need of ventilation and processing, especially since I am no good at the job yet and need a crapload of training. But there is no time or arena to do that. A colleague on the far end of the building suggested today, in strong terms, that we not have such long & gruelling staff meetings. I forebore to tell him that we NEED TO VENT.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I would love to sit down and have breakfast with you sometime, my fellow Phoenix blogger. You seem like an interesting fella, and breakfast is my favorite meal of the day :)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

One of the greatest things about grad school was being able to come together over drinks and discuss our projects, our work, our lives. It's the thing I miss most now that I am finished.

I would love to come over for breakfast. Tell me when and where.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home