Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ghosts

Last August I saw a splendid production of Ibsen’s play “Ghosts”.
It was about being haunted – by people and deeds from times past, and the inability to escape their influence in the here and know.
October is a good time to think about ghosts. The original Hallowe’en or Samhain was a time when the spirit world and the mortal world were closest in contact. No lack of ghosts at Hallowe’en time!
I can think of nothing more everlasting in the human psyche than the belief of ghosts.
Samuel Johnson, the Rationalist, summed it up nicely<

“It is wonderful that five thousand years have now elapsed since the creation of the world, and it is still undecided whether or not there have ever been an instance of the spirit of any person appearing after death. All argument is against it, but all belief is for it.”

Reports of ghosts suggest they are dead souls still hanging around with a story to tell or in need of vengeance.
My old house in Chicago seemed a good candidate for a haunted house. It was old; it had a shady past; someone died in the basement in a grim way. But my 5-6 years residency there revealed no ghosts or hints of the supernatural.
I remember a Wiccan friend taking this situation in earnest. Very concerned, he came over one Hallowe’en season to perform a ‘cleansing’ of the newly purchased house. I was intrigued to see him do this. Very serious, he walked from room to room with burning sage trying to clean out the house of negative vibes and ghosts. He thought there was ‘something negative’ in the cellar’ but that was it. Next year he came back to do a ‘follow up’ but he found/sensed nothing was there. So that was that.

I should add that I love Ghost Stories. A good ghost story should give you a sense of the creeps. Roald Dahl (bless’em!) did extensive research by reading scores of ghost stories and published ‘the best’ in Roald Dahl’s Book of Ghost Stories.
They are superb and I recommend the book if you like that sort of them.

Boo!

11 Comments:

Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

I love ghost stories, but have never had my hands on Roald Dahl's book -- I am adding it to my B&N wishlist!

When I lived in Ohio, I was a big fan of the Haunted Ohio series! A great series of books about true hauntings in Ohio.
There's a similar book for Michigan, but it's written by a Christian minister and it just isn't the same -- you can tell that the author of the Haunted Ohio books (a wonderful woman, I met her once, but right now her name escapes me) she's a true believer and she writes the stories in a way that read like good ghost stories.

The block of buildings that my store is in -- basically one big downtown building that connects a bunch of stores & apartments -- three doors down from me is "one of the most haunted places in Michigan" above a used book store. I have a "spirit" in my store too --- basically, all it does is open a cabinet door (but since the door is magnetically clasped, SOMEthing is opening it!) -- one of the previous store owners had a men's clothing store here for over 40 years, and his name was Maury. So, sometimes I talk to my "ghost" Maury -- hmmm... I sense a blog posting here.

Great post on ghosts! A ghost post!
Ha --- tooo much caffeine for me today!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm posting a true ghost story that happened to me. Should be up in a few minutes.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Boo! I love ghost stories.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I love to hear about ghosts, but I hate ghosts stories. Go figure.

6:44 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I'm a huge fan of suprnatural stories especially from Texas and the deep South. I hold my skepticism in abeyance and just enjoy the "just so-ness" of the stories.

2:23 PM  
Blogger john said...

I am easily spooked.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I too love a good ghost story, especially when just reading your hair stands on end and you have to put the book down.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I love a good ghost story, I'll have to pick up Dahls book of spooks. Of course, I'll have to make sure I have someone to grab hold of since I spook easy.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I'm a fan of ghost stories and haunted house stories. I recommend Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, and E.F. Benson for some good chills.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

Oh my goodness! My husband was taunted by a ghost once. I almost believe him. I'll have to post the stories he has to tell sometime. My friend and her boyfriend both think she has a ghost shadow in her apartment. And she doesn't believe in ghosts! AHHHHHH!!!!!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

Some of my best friends are ghosts. Funnily enough, although real ghosts don't scare me at all, the only kind of movie that can still scare me is a good ghost story. probably because I hate what they symbolize -- unfinished business.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home