Tuesday, March 14, 2006

techno miracle

This was written a few days ago, on Microsoft word, in draft form. It was ‘cut and pasted’ into the blog today. This is a big achievement.
That noise I hear in the background better not be snickering – it may be peanuts to you. (I concur) It is no ‘wah-wah’ moment AKA Hellen Keller, but it is a sense of mastery for me. Until January last, I did not know even what a blog was.
Mastering something that I have never thought of doing (or thought possible) makes for a nice feeling. I have not felt satisfaction since I learned how to make Hawaiian shirts. About 5 years ago I was in mourning. The seamstress who made me an annual holiday shirt was going out of the business. No more shirts! Several friends (all with an eye and talent for clothes and sewing) pointed out if junior high school girls can learn to do a pattern, so could I. Partially out of spite, I took up the challenge. I have never sewn. I discounted my time in the medical school’s surgery/ER rotations.
The first shirts were not very good. It was a dissapointment. But hey, I was trying.
4 years later I have made two dozen shirts, each one better in quality. Full of colour and flare, there is not a quiet one in the collection. No pastels; nothing subtle. I love them and the feeling they bring to see it come together. I doubt they are ‘fashion’, but perhaps they are style (mine anyway).
Some time later in my technology education I hope to master digital photos. I want to put these shirts up here, one at a time.
If anyone has any suggestions how to do this (hopefully simple) matter, please let me know.
Now, I should tackle the six thousand dollar new stereo/TV system, which I can’t even figure out how to turn on. I have named it “Hal”.

1 Comments:

Blogger BentonQuest said...

You might try Picasa. You can get it from download.com. It will post things directly onto your blog.

I had a friend who I once asked to make a shirt for me. She would not make it but showed me how to make it. I made the shirt but never made another. Good for you to keep going.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home