Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sitting Still in Palm Springs

I am never on time for vogues. In contrast to my German like promptness for everything else I am usually 2-5 years behind in discovering what others are talking about and doing now. Some examples; I love AbFab, but did not see them until they were off the air. I read the Da Vinci Code as late as last year. I may do better with “Little Britain’, a BBC show others tell me I would very much like. I haven’t seen it yet but at least it is still ‘current’. Another area where I am ‘behind the times’ is the discovery of locations. I “discovered’ Key West in 1980, long after its glory days. I move into ‘hot areas’ 5 years later than I should have. The list goes on and on.
And this is so for Palm Springs. Living in Michigan, I wasn’t sure where Palm Springs was let alone have visited. It might as well have been on the moon, somewhere in California I am told. Now that I live in Arizona, it is a few hours drive away. So I was finally able to see this legendary place.
There are wide open areas, parties, hints of decadence, a bar every other block and some talk about building a church. As Twain would say “It is no place for a Presbyterian, and I did not remain one long”.
What a place. I was recently given a tour of the homes where the stars of yesteryear lived in the 40s and 50s. Modest homes some of them; now beyond most people’s income. It gives the impression of having evolved into something new/else every 10 years or so. And it is still growing. I hope there is some sort of “plan’ for it. But I digress. I enjoy this city. I have not seen much of it so far, but the scenery is nice and I feel quite at home. I also feel young. Even at 44 I feel a youngster there. I wonder who takes care of all these seniors? No doubt themselves, as one needs a lot of cash to be there.
Someone and I drive to Palm Springs this Memorial Day weekend with the purpose of doing nothing. I will channel my mother; as kids we were bewildered by her notion of a vacation – to sit still somewhere with an iced tea and read a book. What a spoilsport.
Now that I am 44 I see the wisdom in this. I shall bring a few books and some sunscreen, and not much else. I just hope I am not too out of practice

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Guy said...

ENJOY your holiday weekend!!!

You're as "young as you feel" in Palm Springs. So far I've been feeling a 44 and 40 year old, respectively. Har!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home