Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Farm Report

I harvested some cherry tomatoes of the Risentraube variety. They came from a plant I put into the ground last June. It managed to live all year around and put out some fruit. IT was very satisfying to pick and eat them.

There are some green tomatoes on various potted plants; I hope they redden and taste OK. I certainly put a lot of time and energy into them. Soon the hot weather starts and it will be too hot for flowers and pollen. Tomatoes rank a ‘near passing’ grade.

On the other hand, the hot peppers are doing well. I have a dozen varieties. They range in colour and size and ‘heat’. It would be nice to have them all bloom at once – black, purple, orange, red, yellow, green and chocolate.

The herb pot does well.

My palm tree and my cacti are doing OK.

The eggplant is slowly growing. It will have white and pale purple stripes on them.

The cucumbers (four varieties) are germinating at a slow pace. I hope they grow up the trellis. This would provide shade, privacy and things to eat. How multitasking is a cucumber.

All of this requires daily watering as they are all in pots. A lot of work to be sure, but I can not shake the passion to grow vegetables.

We’ll see what survives the Phoenix summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home