Thursday, March 30, 2006

Writing

I have been thinking very hard about writing.

I realize I have become a Writer.

Not someone who writes, but someone who has to write.

At first I merely had some curiosity to try something new, a blog. But it evolving into a passion to write, regardless who reads it (and from the lack of comments, it seems not many).

Unfortunately I have no experience to write, so I have no ‘style; no means to capture my urtext. Worse, I haven’t any original ideas, not in ages.

In “Elizabeth Rex”, an actor asks Shakespeare why he bothers to read. He replies “I read because I write. It is a necessity of the trade”. That makes sense now I am too am trying to scribble out my thoughts. I have been reading up a storm. I go through other people’s blogs I reread the writings of the authors I admire - classics like Twain, Lewis, and Marx (Groucho). For contemporary prose and humor, there are Sedaris, Vowell, and Sagan. This is a good moment to point out three favorites – if you don’t know them I highly recommend them – Alice Thomas Ellis, Barbara Holland, and Bill Richardson. All are brilliant , with styles and wit that I admire.

I am wise enough to know that I should not try to emulate anyone or anything, nor should I try to be clever. I merely need to write. And write and write and write. Most of it will be forgettable, but maybe with time and practice something good – with urtext – will come of it.

I hope I don’t bore your pants off in the meanwhile.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

My pants are squarely in place!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

"Thursday, March 30, 2006
Writing "

I guess our little boy grew up after all. lol

Your writing is just fine.

Try being a French writing in Englis. lol

J

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home