Friday, March 17, 2006

A Night At the Opera

I started going to the opera in high school. It was boring. I did not understand what was going on (there were no super-titles then). I wasn’t familiar with the music or the story so it all seemed rather dull, watching a woman die over several hours. She may have had consumption but she sure could holler. (La Traviata, if you haven’t guessed)
But that was 20 years ago if it were a day, and I go regularly and with great joy. (actually I go with Someone who has been my intrepid companion on this; God bless his heart)
Living for 12 years in Chicago I have heard quality work and seen some off the norm productions, for which I am grateful.
Now I am in the Land of Spo, living in Phoenix – well, that is a different cup of tea. My first Arizona Opera was Carmen, where Don Jose shot her in the back. I was rather shocked at this and wondered if this was a “western thing’ being in Arizona now. A friend of mine, well versed in music, commented that it is a ‘desert’ here in more ways than one. But I hold onto hope. The Flying Dutchman is approaching and one can only imagine what will occur. The notion of ships and storms in a region where it hasn’t rained for 3 months is unpromising.
Everybody has their favorite operas; here are mine –
1) Dialogues of the Carmelites – the ending alone is worth the price of admission. Set in the French revolution, a convent is executed for not retracting their vows. As they sing the Salve Regina, they are executed; the wham! of the guillotine slowly eliminates the chorus. There is a moment of realization beyond these words when the last 2 meet, and then the main character – singing the Gloria – goes on to end it. Fabulous.
2) Salome – I haven’t quite figured it out, but this 90 minute disgusting story rivets me every time. There is something perverse about the whole thing, with its ongoing ‘I want to kiss you on the mouth’ motif. It’s dirty, awful, and sensual. Erotic.
3) Die Walkure - If I can’t list ‘the Ring’ as one opera, then Walkure will do. Act III is one of the most splendid pieces of music ever written. I often need to make a ‘leap’ at it; a good doze in Act II is useful to be alert for III. I no longer feel guilty for dozing in opera; it is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Apotheosis.
4) Rigoletto – OK it is not Verdi’s best but I suppose it remains a favorite as it got me interested in going to these things. It is an easy ‘number’ opera with a good story, it has memorable arias, and a great tragic ending (I luv a good ending). It ‘converted’ me into an opera follower, so it remains dear to my heart. (Alas, I have not seen a good production in years, but one can hope). Melodramatic.
5) Peter Grimes – terrible story! It is just as moving as when I first heard it. I love this opera for all its parts; the plot, the music, the interludes. Someone hates this opera. Its modern tone apparently grates him. I suspect there is more than this - I dragged him to it as our first opera together (maybe he sensed this was the beginning). I commented he looked liked the tenor Ben Hepner, for which he has not forgiven me. Anyway, the nieces and all can still move me to tears with ‘from the gutter.”. aria. Sorrowful.
6) The Magic Flute – hardly original but still a treat, time and time again; what else is the bottom line to a piece of music? Fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home