Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tomato Let Down


Stinko. Growing tomatoes in Arizona seems to be a bust.
I arrived a year ago this week, with several heirloom tomato plants in the van. I started them as seeds in February, and I wasn’t going to leave them behind. What the hell, it is Memorial Day, the usual time to put plants into the ground. I’ll stick them in the Arizona ‘soil’ and see what happens. In the 110 heat of the Arizona summer they fried up.
First round; no good.
Well, perhaps it is the season; here people grow things from Sept-May not May-Sept. I’ll start up some new ones in August. These grew, but it wasn’t light enough or warm enough to put out anything.
Second round; no good.
I’ll start really early this year, January rather, so they are grown and done by May time. I’ll use containers and pots, to keep off the bugs and assure the watering. I barely got some fruit, but these were puny and bugs got to them. And then they started to fry in the hot May sun.
Third round; is forfeit and game.

Well, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I am growing peppers. So far, they are doing nicely. They look healthy and thriving (the tomato plants look miserable in contrast). I hope to get a lot of peppers in different colours, sizes and heat intensity.
Let’s see how they fare this summer time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home