Monday, June 26, 2006

Blog Addiction?

I think blogging is becoming a problem.
I recognize a lot of similar behaviors and emotions to when I first got AOL. There were chat rooms to visit. I recall spending far too much time on line, going to chat rooms, anxious that I had missed something. Then it was chat rooms; now it is blogs. I find it challenging to focus on my work. I am eager to get back on line to the blogs, either to write my own or read others’. I eagerly check and recheck -many times a day - to see if someone left a comment on my entries. (oh! somebody reads my blog after all!) I am impatient to see new entries on dozen blogs that interest me. I continually edit and putz on my profile.
All this is at the expense of other activities such as gardening, music, yoga, and reading. I notice sleep hours are down too. Even as I write this entry, I am at work – ought to be doing something else –but am too eager to write out my thoughts on how I am blowing off things in order to write…..
I trust this is some sort of initial ‘rush’ that will normalize in time. It took a few months with AOL chat rooms. Over time I stopped going. I suppose chat rooms still happen, but I don’t know where/how.
I hope my enthusiasm for writing and reading blogs doesn’t fall by the wayside though; it only needs to normalize so I can eat and sleep properly thank you. I wonder how others manage their lives with their blogs? I suppose people have a time for writing each day – or do they merely write on the spur of the moment? In time I will find out time management from the ‘sages’ as I get to know them better.

Is there such a group as “BA”, Bloggers Anonymous?
“Hi, my name is Michael” (apparently in blog-land the name Michael seems a safe bet).Then after the meeting I try not to run home to turn it into the day’s entry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Yeah, well, I know what you mean, I write pretty much everything at work, and that's just so I don't go batshit crazy from the completely non-creative position I have. I need an outlet or I won't get through the day.

But yes, stabilization is good, I've achieved it for the most part, but it means missing peoples posts for days then trying to read as much as possible from what you've missed while always being mindful of just how much time you are spending doing it. Anyway, good luck.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

It's only dangerous when you'd rather blog than flog. If you catch my drift...

12:40 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I had that problem when I first started blogging but it does pass. I've whittled my list of regular reads down to a few favorites but still enjoy wandering occasionally to see who else is out there.

When I recently started a new blog, the BF accused me of having an affair with my laptop because I had to spend so much time getting it set up and learning how to get things in the side bar etc. (the other blog was handled by a friend and all I did was post and add pics) I digress.

Have been enjoying your blog and will continue reading.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

thanks, gents, for the advise
I will keep blogging and try to get some sleep in once in a while

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home