Sunday, July 23, 2006

Santa Fe Part II

We drove north of Santa Fe to Taos, a little town known for its artists. It at the base of Mount Wheeler, which is the highest peak of New Mexico. We drove up to the Ski area, and took a ski ride up the slope to 9200 feet or so. It felt more like the Northwest – it is cool, with distant thunder. So I have been to the top of Arizona and New Mexico.
Afterwards we drove across the Rio Grande Gorge. It is out in the middle of nowhere; and appears out of nowhere; as you drive across a desert plain. In this gorge is the Rio Grande. It is very deep and vast. I have not seen the Grand Canyon, but this must be similar. I get the impression the Rio Grande carved this gorge over eons of time.
We had a treat; it rained! I haven’t seen or felt rain in months.

After wine hour, we went back to the Santa Fe Opera. Once again the opera had for its background the mountains lit up with distant lighting. Curious, we never heard thunder, despite a continual light show.
“Salome” is a 90 minute long one act opera. It is one of my favorites. It is disturbing, erotic, chromatic and great drama. Cynthia Watson sang the role; her voice was shaky at times but overall good; she acted well. The dance of the seven veils was a bit tame. The stage was a large circle, with a moderate rake. Like last night, the production and stage are awesome to see. I look forward to coming back to Santa Fe.

I have a sore throat; signs of a cold; I suspect the changes in altitude and weather triggered a bug, and I am not feeling at all well. I hope you all are doing OK.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

Thanks for letting us know how your trip went. I know what you mean about the rain. It stormed here over the weekend and it's the first thunderstorm I've experienced in three years. I loved it.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the Sante Fe Opera and it sounds like they are true. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Take care of that cold, and be well.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

DASH to Walgreen's and buy some AIRBORNE! ...for that pending cold. It never fails to head off the first signs..itchy throat, etc. I discovered it on a business trip; it's essentially a mega-packed vitamin supplement that you plunk into a glass of water. FIZZY medicine. I LIKE THAT!

Sounds like your Sante Fe trip was an overall delight! Feel better.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Thankyou Michael, for the tip.
I have seen these in stores, but did not want to spend the money until I heard from someone that they are worthwhile.

7:46 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

You want rain? Come to Oregon. Even our super hot 104 degree day last week included rain.

Sounds like you had a great time. Too bad Salome didn't live up to its potential, it is one of my fav's too. Of course the lightening in the background could really add to the drama and distract from a lesser production.

Take MG's advice and head this thing off.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home