Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Off to the Santa Fe Opera


We leave tomorrow right after work to fly to Santa Fe.

We are going to attend the Santa Fe Opera Company. I have wanted to see this Opera house for years. I don’t know when my next blog entry will be – no doubt all about Santa Fe and the two operas – “The Magic Flute” and “Salome”.

We keep our ‘out of town’ subscription to the Lyric Opera in Chicago, and attend the Arizona Opera Company. The Arizona Opera disappoints. A friend of mine (who plays piano for Marilyn Horne no less!) once warned us Arizona is a desert in more way than one. At the ASO we saw a production of Carmen where instead of the usual stabbing Don Jose SHOT her.

Some sort of local Arizona gun law.

We’ll see if Santa Fe does better.

Meanwhile here is some ‘basics’ about Opera <

It isn’t too different than going to the bars actually. Most bars are loaded with people wandering around in bizarre costumes singing in odd languages for hours on end – so what’s the difference if it is on stage with super titles? They even serve drinks at the opera.

Opera is a decent way to meet people. Being able to answer ‘We met at The Lyric’s production of Alcina instead of “We met in the Unicorn Bathhouse” to the question ‘where did you two meet?” not only sounds more posh but keeps up the stereotype we are high class. (You needn’t mention after the opera you went out afterwards to the Unicorn).

Opera queens are good dating material. You can dismiss the ones ineligible due to active partnerships, offensive ties, and wrong ideas about Diana Soviero. That leaves tons of OPQRS (opera poofs and queers) from which to choose.

Some operas are more ‘queer’ than others - Operas in German, operas over four hours, and operas with fading mega-stars are best. Put that all together and that means Wagner – where wearing leather is not only permissible but encouraged.
As it is a misdemeanor in some states to take a novice to Wagner, start with some basic operas.

Don’t be afraid to nod off; it is one of life’s greatest pleasures. My favorite times for an opera nap are Act II Die Walkure, all of The Barber of Seville except the intermissions, whenever 'Tamino' is on stage in The Magic Flute, and during any arias by April Millo.

Don’t worry about dressing up. Modern audiences look like it is a come as you are party. (Ben Hepner used to do this when he was in the opera).

9 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

Enjoy the hell out of yourself. I don't remember the last time I was at the opera, but I do remember it was bad. Please let us know all about it when you return.

We'll miss you.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Have a good, safe, fun trip!?

11:49 PM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

I particularly enjoy the squelched silent farts and snoring up in the cheap seats section of the Lyric Opera of Chicago. Now that's class.

Travel safe; enjoy!

1:08 AM  
Blogger jnuts said...

I'm just thrilled you get to leave this oppresive heat and humidity for a bit. I'd be more thrilled if it was me leaving, but you can't have everything.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I am jealous - go and have a GREAT time - we expect a full report and review...

7:31 AM  
Blogger DEREK said...

I've never seen the "Magic Flute", but Salome was awesome.

Enjoy, take lots of pictures and share them with us.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Hope you enjoy the show and put up a review.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

I went to the opera once. It was good, I liked it. But I disagree completely with your statemene about how drifting off is a great pleasure. Paying money to attend something worth staying awake for is a far greater good, sir.

5:54 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Wait...you have a friend that plays piano for Ms. Horne? BITCH! I am so fucking jealous. May I kiss your feet?

I have stories about Marilyn, including my first Opera experience...I'll blog them soon.

On another note...Anna Russell's satire of 'The Ring' rocks!! Have you seen it?

Have a great time...I want to hear all about it.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home