Thursday, July 13, 2006

BBQ Sauce to Die For

Five years ago I started the quest for the recipe for the ultimate BBQ sauce. I love a good sauce, and BBQ sauce is ambrosia.
As a summer time treat I cooked up a few more new hopefuls found in old cookbooks, on line, or in newspapers. I think I tried dozens; some hot, spicy, sweet, tangy etc.
The best one? The very first one I tried!
This was actually a disappointment. To hit it ‘spot on’ in the first attempt did not leave me with much to better. Every recipe afterwards was fair or very good, but ‘not as good as the first’. So I worked with the first, and did some modifications of my own. It is simple, well balanced, and allows you to work with the 3 elements to a BBQ sauce. You can make it more sweet or sour or hot. I thought I would share it with you all <

Ur-Spo BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup ¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup Worcestershire ¼ cup packed brown sugar
2T Molasses 2T Dijon Mustard 1.5T Tabasco
1T chili powder 2t liquid smoke 1/2 t ground pepper


Mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat until bubbling. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for half an hour.
To sweeten it, add more molasses.
To make it more hot, add more Tabasco or use a hotter sauce (I like Melinda’s).
To make it more tangy, increase the Worcestershire.

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Blogger rodger said...

You have my attention. I love barbecue! My father was from the south and cooks the most delectable ribs.

I plan to try your sauce this weekend and will try the original prior to heating it up to fit my taste (I love HOT).

Thanks for the recipe and I'll report back.

10:07 PM  
Blogger DEREK said...

this sounds like a winner, will have to try it.

8:35 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sounds yummy!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Mmmmm... sticky sauces... love 'em.

Off topic, you had asked about the Hollywood Bowl's Tosca on my blog, I was going to e-mail you the information since I updated the blog but you don't have one in your profile (that's a chastizement in case it wasn't clear ;-)

This link: http://www.hollywoodbowl.org/tix/performance_detail.cfm?id=2676
Will tell you all the people that performed that evening.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Sounds delish! I'm really gonna try this next time I do BBQ. Have a great weekend, by the way.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

MEK - I will get an email address up this weekend!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home