Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Bad Back

I am disappointed that my bad back is not mending. I think I am in the clear for a few days and then it returns; the lower right hand side aches - diffuse, not sharp or radiating, but enough to make me wary to move too quickly and watch what I pick up.
It started a couple of months ago; I was picking up a bag of dirt out of the wheelbarrow when the lower back went into a spasm. Like a piece of machinery that had been given one ounce of pressure too much the entire lower back ‘froze’. I knew it was not a slipped disc or sciatica. It was a muscle matter. Hurt like hell. I walked like Groucho Marx for long time thereafter. But it could have been worse.
That was 2 months ago. It continues to intermittently ache and remind me of its presence. All my NSAID Rx, stretches, and yoga have not banished it. It is a discouraging.

What burns my bacon is having it at all. I come from a family of bad backs. I decided that I have my share of medical problems so a bad back would not be one of them. I would do all this prevention of stretches, yoga, and avoidance all of nasty damaging sports and activities. So how come my prudence is rewarded with this?
I should swallow my wormwood along with the Motrin. One can not fight genetics. I didn’t raise a fuss when the family h/o high cholesterol and HTN hit me.

Well, I am not yet defeated. I’ll keep up the yoga poses, the stretches, and the occasional ibuprofen.
I want this beaten and gone for good.

Meanwhile would someone please rub me right there……

11 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Hi ur!

Thanks for dropping by!

I'm on Effexor, I was at 150 mg when he gave me Welbutrin, also 150 mg.

Now I'm only on Effexor, but 220.

I hope you're right about the treatment.

Have fun ur!

J

9:41 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

I had the same problem. About 6 years ago pulled my back bothered me for about 6 month then it went away and I haven't been bothered since. Hopefully, yours won't last 6 months but will go away and not bother you again.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog, just discovered it.
I'm a Canadian living in Phoenix for the past 8 years.
I was suffering from some really painful upper back pain. I refused the vicoden and requested a referral to get physiotherapy. Worked like a charm. Now whenever i feel the start of that pain, I get my wife to do the same thing that the therapist was doing and in a few days i'm back to normal. Physio it works!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Welcome to Phoenix! I moved here a year ago; quite a difference to Canada. part of my father's side comes from Goderich, Ontario; so I am always 'going back home'; next trip is the annual Stratford trek this August for theatre and Tim Horton's

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are origianlly from Toronto. Love Stratford, so enjoy it for us.
We had planned to go back for a vacation, but with ticket prices at 500-600 it was out of the question for a family of four.
What brought you to phoenix?
I'd like to give you my email address but don't really want to publish it.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Bigg said...

Sorry to hear about your back -- I know how bad that can be. I really wish I could rub it 'right there' for you...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Bigg- you rub it, I will reciprocate and rub yours back!

12:41 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

If you're certain it is muscle related then ice, ice, ice. Every three hours for 20 minutes if possible, at least twice a day if not. It really works!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Sorry to hear about the back pain, it runs in my family too, I'm assuming it's going to happen to me one day too, I'm so not looking forward to it.

I'd volunteer for to give you a rub down if I lived a little closer but your other half might require I give him one too... on second thought I'll be right over!

(*teehee* I'm just a big blog flirt!)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

MEK -ooh! perhaps we can give you some practice for the film you are going to make?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

Let's keep this family-friendly, people. Sheesh.

Funny this should happen to you at about the same time it happened to me. I was learning to break a two-handed grip on my arm by truculent youth and lunged one too many times. Lovely muscle spasm had me limping like a Crimean veteran for a couple of weeks. I can say with total honesty that I feel your pain, sir.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home