Tuesday, July 04, 2006

4th of July

As it is Independence Day, I thought I would write out my mixed feelings about being an American. There are days (especially in the last 7 years) when I have wanted to push my Canadian heritage and run off to Ontario for good. But I will stick it out here, and be yet another type of American with all the other zany and complex types of Americans.

For which I am proud;

1) We generally have a good quality of life, despite our complaints.

2) We strive to be individuals.

3) We have some of the most beautiful diverse landscapes – and people. Now that I live in the West I realize this more.

4) We made a nation often through great hardships and long shots.

5) We seem to rally together when real hardships arise.

6) The Cuisine is diverse and fabulous (a result of #3)

For which I am ashamed;

1) We are the richest country yet have one of the least efficacious health systems in the Western World.

2) We allow Big Money and Religious Pressure to dictate law and policy.

3) We operate by fear of the Other – and Each Other

4) We consume more than any other nation, and pollute/waste the most.

5) We take such poor care of ourselves.

6) We don’t take the arts, education, and leisure time as seriously as others.

Oh, there are other lesser things:

On the negative <>

On the positive < Disneyland, Broadway, and Zingerman’s Deli http://www.zingermans.com

Happy Fourth to all. May we persevere and better our Nation. The great work continues.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ur-spo said...

For some reason I can't get the darn blog to record the lesser evils. These include
Strip Malls, Fast Food, and AM Talk Radio Shows

8:37 AM  
Blogger john said...

Happy Fourth of July buddy!!!
God Blessed America and continues to do so always!! I see it around me everyday!!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Great post. Hope you had a happy 4th. And thanks for stopping by my blog, too.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home