Monday, July 03, 2006

Circle of Friends



This candle holder is called “Circle of Friends”. It sits outside on the back porch coffee table.
It is crudely called by another name, but that is not today’s point.

It is an example of my succumbing to a trend. I moved to the Southwest USA a year ago, and I see these everywhere; homes, patios, even in offices. You can get one at any pottery shop. I finally broke down and got one last time we were in Palm Springs. Normally Someone doesn’t care for candles or anything that looks too ‘new age-y”; I was surprised he liked it too.
These “Circles” come in different sizes; I notice that the even numbered ones tend to be female; odd numbers are male. We have one of the larger ones at 13 lads. They are arm in arm, around their sacred candle.
If anyone knows the story of who started these or where they come from, I would be grateful to know. I like to think it is a replica of some ancient sculpture from the Native Southwest. I suspect rather it was some sod in a souvenier shoppe dreaming up as an easy way to get rich.
Despite not usually ‘doing what everyone else does’ I am content with the purchase. I like these fellows; they seem happy to themselves in the warm glow of a candle. Not bad a setting for a Gathering of Friends.

At Hallowe’en I plan to put them all in little costumes.

4 Comments:

Blogger john said...

It's nice, no matter what its origin.
I like candles.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

"Crudely called by another name," huh? Probably "Circle Of Je--" I mean "Circle Of Tax Accountants." Yeah, that's it.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I thought I recognized them, they're from Mexico, here's a good blurb I found about them...

"Ancient native legend says that at the end of the evening, friends would gather around a bonfire and share their hearts. They would speak of the good qualities of each other and remember times shared. As the embers faded their friendship was said to be sealed anew, bringing them closer together."

They represent an ancient pre-Columbian ceremonial dance symbolizing the unbroken circle of friendship.

And do vaguely remember something about even numbers being feminine and odd numbers masculine in pre-colombian society, but I could be wrong about that.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

MEK - thank you!
I like ancient things, or at least things that have a connection to times past.
This is better than 'created in the 80s' :-)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home