Monday, July 10, 2006

Prizes and Pod People

I haven’t mentioned yet what I got for my birthday! An iPOD!

-As an introduction, when I grew up gifts were called ‘prizes’. My grandmother called them that, which annoyed my mother. She thought ‘prize’ made it sound like the person ‘won’ something. So we kids teased her with ‘Christmas Prizes” and “Birthday Prizes” and the term stuck.

I gave Someone an iPOD for his birthday a few years ago. He uses it all the time. When we go on car trips the ‘shuffle’ generates 10K worth of tunes to hear. What a device! So I am familiar with them. However, now that I own one I have to pay attention to how it operates.

Unfortunately while trying to clean up the iTunes we lost all our music, so Someone is doggedly downloading all our CDs. I daresay it will take weeks. Then, I can ‘load up’ the device and become one of the pod people.

Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Annie Lennox, Kate Bush, Earth Kitt, Bette Midler, Cher – and all the opera divas – in one small tiny shiny black box no bigger than a deck of cards.

I hope they get along!

7 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

You'll love it. All that great music in one little device that can go anywhere with you. I hardly ever pull out my cd's anymore. Enjoy.

8:41 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Oh, they'll get along. Of course you'll need to put some Janis on that i-pod if you and 'Someone' still want to get along.

Down on me...down on me!

10:47 PM  
Blogger john said...

Happy Birtthday buddy!
I just got back from vacation, so I'm catching up on people's blogs. I wasn't neglecting yours for the past week, just didn't have access.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Welcome to being a pod person! I've only got a 2GB, had it for a little over a month, and now I'm already wanting a 30GB. Needless to say, I can't imagine not owning one now. Ok, well I can, but I wouldn't like it.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

'Pod People'... that's classic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. (SIDENOTE: When my nephew Cameron was little, he called Christmas/birthday gifts prizes, too.)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Sorted Lives -
in your honor, Ms Crow will be amoung the divas on my ipod

5:47 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Mine is piped through the house in the morning as I get ready and I can't count the number of times the MIX has amused me. I swear this DEVICE knows me and she is a loving and skilled mistress. Sure, I loaded her up with all the goodness, but she's cheeky with her selections.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home