Friday, July 07, 2006

Mahler and Me

Today is my birthday. I am 44 years old.

Today is also Gustav Mahler’s birthday. He is much older.

I have an old book on Great Composers. To illustrate how old it is, Rachmaninoff, Stravinksy, and Prokofiev are listed as living. When I found this book in my grandparent’s attic, I was maybe six year old. I only knew the names of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. There was a fellow named Mahler –we had the same birthday! I hadn’t a clue who Mahler was, but I figured he and I had a bond, being both born on July 7th.

As a boy I had a bit of a lisp (clue #23 that I was queer); I could not pronounce Gustav. It came out as Goosebumps. So I asked for his music it came out as requests for albums by Goosebumps Mahler.

Although the lisp is gone, Herr Mahler’ music continues to give me goose bumps.

I am 44. Middle age. 4 and 4; one before and one after; smack dap in the middle of life.

I will have a quiet birthday, as is befitting the number, We’ll see the “Pirate’ move; and make some of my favorite foods for supper, all of them bad for me/tastes great. I want some onion rings. I will play a lot of Mahler, as is my wont. Later, there will be a night time dip in the pool sans trunks and a ‘cuddle’ with Someone.


I am glad to see 44. I know of many people who did not live to see this age. So I am grateful. I hope the next half is prosperous and full of growth.

14 Comments:

Blogger DEREK said...

too cool to find your blog on your birthday, hope yours is wonderful! I've been out of work all week witha bad back, so your last entry hit me too!

7:14 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

Happy Birthday, Michael and here's to many more! ::clink::

How cool is it to share Mahler's birthday? My foavorite is his 9th symphony performed by (you'll like this)the Chicago Symphony Orchestera under the direction of Sir Georg Solti. Yeah...I know they're very old recordings but I still think they're the best.

Have a great day! Oh, and can I come by and swim? Sounds like the view will be worth taking in.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

HAVE a most wonderful birthday, Michael! And that pool dip sound tooo divine! Tell 'someone' to perhaps think of an innovative way to serve those onion rings. M'kay?

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bithday.
I turn 39 on the 20th.
Hope your day is great. It's kinda muggy here in Phoenix, so try to stay cool and dry.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Hey!

Happy B day!?

I just luv ya!
Big hug from Montreal!?

J

X

PS: a really big thanks to drop by, every time!
I appreciate it!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Hey you!

Who is the Someone?!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! WOOOOOO, hey look, you've already lived 11 more years than Jesus!

Here's to another 44 years of prosperity and wisdom, and many more besides!

Big birthday hugs, and tell Someone to make sure you get your 44 spanks, or to at least spank SOMETHING 44 times (*teehee*).

3:21 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like you know the perfect way to celebrate. That dip in the pool would feel wonderful today. Also nice to hear you being grateful, so many of us today take for granted the fact that we are still here.

Here's to you.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great birthday! I'm just back from taking my entire department on an overnight down to the wilds of central Indiana. I'm at work right now and will be getting back home to L. shortly. Give Someone a nice big sloppy kiss for me. See you both in just a few weeks.


Big birthday huggs.

D.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

aw shucks, fellers, thank you for the many happy birthday greetings!

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, Sorry I forgot your birthday. I hope it was wonderful. I hope your "cuddle" was great as well. Please give your fellow "cuddler" a big hug from me. (From Rich, too....he's sleeping but I feel I can safely assume he'd wish to do so...as well as a big one for yourself from both of us.)

11:04 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Happy Birthday Ur-spo! Even though I am late, hope you had a great one1

5:57 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Happy Belated birthday Ur-spo! Birhtdays don't have to end on their designated day. They can run over a bit if they adjoin a weekend! ;-)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

It's been a long weekend; the celebration thereof, ends this evening!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home