Sunday, July 09, 2006

Who is YOUR Diva?


In Jungian psychology an important Archetype is the Anima.
Call it the “eternal Female” that is in us all. To be in touch with the feminine side of one’s personality must be allowed to express itself in consciousness in order to be well, adjusted, and have a harmonious Self.
Gay men do this readily via their favorite female singers. Pop stars like Bette Midler, or Divas like Scotto are good examples.

Someone calls my fondness for female vocalists ‘adoring the Goddess”. He is not wrong.

To his dismay, my ultimate ‘Goddess” is Enya.

There is something soothing and numinous about her voice that transports me to different planes of being. I first heard her in Key West, during my zenith of being a young man with the future without limits. Her “Watermark’ CD brings me back to that time and place. I look forward to all her new songs and CDs. She has been criticized for not altering her style – but I like her style. Between her voice and her looks she captures the Anima .

And Someone can not stand her. I find that people either adore or loathe her. He thinks all her songs sound alike. Well, his Goddess is Janis Joplin, so go figure.


Tell me who is/are your Diva(s)!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

I have several DIVAs that I enjoy but I think my favorite of all of them is Faith Hill. Guess I have always been a little country at heart. She just seems to encompass it all as a female. Beauty, personality, class, and a beautiful voice.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

My animus was David Bowie for years. He was ultimately replaced by the tag team of Truman Capote and Sid Vicious.

Oh, my Goddess? That would be Discordia, the one in charge of primeval Chaos.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

What does it mean if I don't have a Goddess. Does that mean I am not the gay man I believe myself to be? Oh, no!!! More things to worry about.

How do I get that happy pill again?

8:49 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Funny thing...Janice Joplin is my first Goddess. I would follow her closely with Kate Bush and Marilyn Horne.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Cheryl Crow is quite popular with Someone.
I adore Kate Bush!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I have several as well, and while Enya is up there on my list, I think I have to go with Tori Amos. I've seen her live and she had me entranced like a snake charmer, just amazing.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

No question. Linda Eder. Bow before her, bitches. She had me at "Broadway, My Way" and then she comes out with an album of Garland covers? Fuggedaboutit. Crystalline voice. Style out the ass.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Did I inspire you here? lol

Why didn't you comment this on my blog?

Mine is Jann Arden.

But you knew that.

J

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home