Wednesday, July 12, 2006

More Random Thoughts

I have gone through a couple of analysis (Freudian and Jungian), some groups, and later a peer supervision group. Being a ‘role model’ at work, primarily as a physician, and secondary as a psychiatrist, it doesn’t leave me with room or space to be screw loose bozo or down in the dumps The fact that doctors/shrinks have problems and hang ups like anyone else ought to surprise no one We are human after all, but patients want their doctors to be not only competent but ‘whole’. Some want a Magus, with all the answers - or the happy pills(and some of the you fellow bloggers are just as bad!).

No room for mistakes, error, or personal matters.

MDs are seen all the time on TV and movies – usually for the worse; guys you wouldn’t trust to wipe their own noses they are so neurotic, or the Hannibal Lector types.

So where do I go when I am down/out and having a bad day?

I believe I know myself well enough to know which of my screws are loose and tight < and which ones need periodically tightening, and which ones are ‘don’t touch”. So I don’t need insight – I need somewhere to ventilate and weep.
Still new to blogging, I am not sure about doing too much here. Is it safe; will it look bad? Will the APA police come and drag me away?

Yet, I read others’ blogs and I am struck at their courage to drop defenses and share their souls (darks sides and all) on line for the world to see. It is an honor to read their tales. The ‘comments’ reveal people are supportive of it. I realize blogging is a sort of loose world wide “group therapy”. What a concept. Well, if I am to be full member I too shall be brave and drop my sorrows (or my pants) from time to time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

Although dropping your pants would be more fun, we'll be here when you need to drop the serious stuff. As for wanting my doctors whole. I actually appreciate knowing my doctor's "real". It makes it easier to talk to him about the things I need to. Oh, and by the way, we like you even without the "happy pill."

10:19 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

most men like me even better after a vodka stinger

10:45 PM  
Blogger john said...

Someone told me that people in psychiatric residency undergo psychiatric check-ups themselves. I could understand this. During my psychiatry rotation, I sometimes felt surreal. It was only a month long and I was glad to move on to surgery.
I feel that anyone who help another person overcome certain obstacles may also need to unwind/unload. Everyone needs to have a burden lifted off their shoulder.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Bigg said...

I work with doctors every day, and TRUST ME, I know they're just like everybody else -- maybe even a little weirder. (All the doctors I know are osteopaths, though, so this may not apply as much to allopaths).
My blog has been a huge liberation for me, and does function -- just as you said -- as a kind of mass group therapy.
Feel free to drop your sorrows (or pants!) any time.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I will fully support you in the dropping of your pants...errr... I mean sorrows... would that count as a Freudian slip?

3:56 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I worked as a bartender years ago and felt as though I was every patrons therapist. They all just dump their troubles on you once the lubricant begins to work. At first it was fun, then annoying, but finally I realized many of them just needed someone to listen. Being that person made them feel good which made me feel good. A little empathy goes a long way. I know, I've been on the other side of the bar too!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I'm behind you 100%. No pun intended. Almost! lol

It is a great experience. It helps me alot.

As for the pant thing, we'll need pictures.

Always here for you!

J

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home