Thursday, July 27, 2006

Starbucks Virgin

I thought I would share a memory of mine.

Some years ago I visited my cousin Matthew, who lives in Seattle. I love the Pacific Northwest and was eager to explore this dreamy and enchanted place. I wanted to do all the tourist things, and capture the Ur-text of Seattle.

I asked to go to Starbucks.

I am not a coffee drinker. I drink tea. (see my entry ‘Cup of Tea’ from 25 May). But when in Rome…. So we went to Starbucks. I think it was the original one.

-By the way, people who order Starbucks coffee sure know their stuff, and have very specific needs/wants. As I stood in line, looking at the many options (for which I grasped little), I realized I did not know what I was doing.

“What would you like?”

”Oh, a cup of coffee please”

(pause, they are not used to such a vague order) “Pardon?”

“I guess I want a basic cup of coffee.”

(meanwhile, the Yuppies behind me send out beams of impatience and ‘hurry up!”)

I leaned forward and said in a low voice;
“ I have never been to Starbucks before, so I don’t know what to order. Can I have a plain cup of coffee?”

The cashier was aghast. “This guy has NEVER been in a Starbucks!” she shrieked. This announcement started to float around the café. I was surrounded by gawkers and cheerleaders (is coffee drinking a cult?). The manager came out to show me around.

I was seen as a sort of celebrity, just beamed down from outer space. I forget the details in the fuss, but somehow a reporter was summoned, my picture taken. There was to be an article along the line “Man discovered who has never been to Starbucks!”. (alas, my cousin was not to find it, so I don’t think it was written.)

They gave me a free cup of coffee, and hovered over me for my impressions (I was too Midwestern to say that it tasted like ‘coffee’; damned if I can tell good from bad!). Feeling dazed (and wired) we left the place, with the embarrassed cousin behind.

“If I had known that I wouldn’t have brought you here!” He added a comment about ‘the spreading cancer’ of Starbucks.

I still drink tea, with maybe 2-3 cups of coffee in a year’s time. What rare times I have gone back to Starbucks is to find iced tea.

This request always gets a reaction; it is amusing to watch.

(P.S. Starbucks makes a good iced tea, to their credit).

6 Comments:

Blogger john said...

I use to like coffee, but rarely drink it now. I don't like the stain it leaves on my teeth. I don't like soda or red wine for that matter either.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

While I have to been to Starbuck's a few times, I've never ordered coffee, I think it's disgusting, so like you I go for the tea, decent, but I prefer the smaller coffee shops, they tend to have really great teas!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I worked at a radio station in the Tampa area that was RIGHT NEXT DOOR to a Starbucks. Needless to say, we were their best customers. I thought I was the only person who goes in there and orders a 'grande mild'. That's it. Regular coffee... no crap to go with it. And yeah, their tea is pretty good, too.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I'm not a huge coffee drinker either, and I still get confused when ordering at Starbucks. Maybe I should try the "Never been to Starbucks" angle next time ;)

Found you through Derek's blog.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

If you go see "The Rocky horror picture show", do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell them you never saw it!

If you thought Starbucks was bad...

lol

You ain't seen nothin' yet!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

thank you mr jason for stopping by
this blog is only six months old and still a work in progress.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home