Saturday, August 19, 2006

Canadian Holiday



Next week is the annual holiday to Ontario, to the Stratford Festival and the Shaw Festival.
Hurray! Theatre! Drama! Tim Horton Doughnuts!

A branch of my father’s side came from Goderich, Ontario, and we are descended from French Canadians that way. I am very proud of this branch. Growing up in SE Michigan, Canada is more accessible than the other states (Heavens, Canada is due SOUTH of Detroit). We grow up going over to Canada for holidays; we heard the CBC and watched Channel 9 from Windsor. I though we were the same country for a while, just different states. Later in life, I would go over on Friday nights to see what was then called the “Windsor Ballet”. (I wonder if they still perform?). For 25 years I have gone every year to Stratford, Ontario to attend the Festival. We will see 6-8 plays this year. I love Startford. The shows, the gardens and the town are lovely. Over the years I got to know some of the folks there, and consider them friends.
(I even had a rub with celebrity; back in the 80s. My friend there introduced me to Loreena McKennitt. http://www.quinlanroad.com/ I knew her for a while – now she is a well known singer and one of my all time favorite Divas. If you don’t know this wonderful Celtic singer, check her out!)

So this weekend we find the passports and the get out the loonies (that’s money, not patients) and pack our bags. My tea merchant resides in Stratford, so I will be coming back with a few kilos of tea.

Oooh, I love Canada!
There, my ‘ou’s drop a bit more than they already do.

8 Comments:

Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Windsor Ballet sounds fun. I've never been a dance club person but i think I'm changing in that regard.
Drama, donuts, and drinks, sounds like a sensurround experience to me.
Have a good weekend.

11:00 AM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

So, do you say, "Aboot" instead of "About"?

Happy Canadian Holiday to you :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Oh cool. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome time!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

steve - oh, yes
when I call home, my father always ends the call with
"well, that's aboot it"

1:33 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Sounds like a fun trip - we expect lots a pictures and a full report!

3:27 PM  
Blogger john said...

Canada is pretty. The few times I've been, I have had a good time.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Sadly, I've only been to Canada once. On a business trip to Lavonia and Detroit we took a detour to Windsor. It was in March so it was very cold. Lovely town, eh?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

One of these days I want to get up to Canada!

Spo, grab me a few of those chocolate donuts too and a cup of hot chocolate. Does something here say that I like chocolate????

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home