Thursday, December 21, 2006

27 Things about Spo


1. I stutter when I get to excited or have too many thoughts I want to say simultaneously.
2. I am 5ft 10.5 inches tall. That’s for the bean counters who want to know how really tall I am.
3. My favorite living composer is Arvo Part.
4. I have a Haida Bent Box. It will some day contain my ashes.
5. Remembering the date I went ‘on line’ is easy. I dialed up to see that Princess Diana died in a car accident. I thought it was a joke.
6. I have not been to 6 States; Vermont, Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.
7. Guilty comfort food oh so delicious but oh so nasty < Ramen Noodles.
8. I was harassed throughout grade, junior and into high school. Two of the bullies are now dead from reckless living. The other is an alcoholic. I earn six figures.
9. Lunch is a lonely time. The majority of them I eat alone, so I read a lot.
10. In 2007 I hope to go to Costa Rica, Oshkosh Wisconsin, a family reunion, and the annual trek to Canada.
11. Someone would like his own pet, so a puppy may arrive next year.
12. My father is a ‘boat nerd’. This means he adores and watches the freighters going up and down the Great Lakes. We kids knew how to identify freighters rather than cars.
13. At family get togethers, we often look at old slides from the 60s to 80s. Half of them are photos of freighters.
14. My mother is an amateur singer. She is an Alto. She does not like pieces by Francis Poulenc. I do.
15. Speaking of Poulenc, my favorite opera is “Dialogues of the Carmelites”. The ending is one of the most dramatic and moving things in music/on stage.
16. My favorite vintage Diva is Ethel Waters.
17. My favorite vintage group is The Boswell Sisters. (especially Connie)
18. My nephew was born on 4/23, which is Shakespeare’s birthday. So I tend to give him books and literature for his birthday. He’s was the only 6yo I know who could quote Macbeth.
19. The woman who inspired me into going to medicine was my pediatrician. I am very certain she was a dyke.
20. I want very much to see the great Aztec Calendar that is in the Anthropology Museum in Mexico City, but I am too fearful to travel to Mexico City.
21. I collect rubber stamps.
22. At family reunions I am the only one who can explain the ‘first cousin/second cousin/first cousin once removed etc.” connections. This is clear for me; no one else gets it.
23. I am avoiding reading “The Pickwick Papers” as it is the last major work of Dickens I have yet to read. After that there is no more.
24. I miss planting daffodils in the fall. I love daffodils in the spring time.
25. We turned on the heat yesterday. Our Midwest blood is thick enough still to delay the Arizona furnace this late.
26. Speaking of Arizona, Phoenix has the nastiest drivers I have ever seen, and I have been to Boston.
27. 2006 overall was not a good year. I hope 2007 is better.

23 Comments:

Blogger Doug Taron said...

Delightful list.

#6- I'm trying to get to all 50 states before I turn 50 next November. I have 3 left, 2 of which are on your list (AL and SC). I may do a long weekend in Atlanta next spring and try to get to both of them. You are welcome to join me.

#10- I can't wait to get to Costa Rica. Looking very much forward to seeing you and Someone.

#20- Mexico City is an amazing place. No need to be fearful of travelling there. The Museum keeps talking about a trip to Michoacan to see the overwintering monarch butterflies. If it happens, it will probably include time in Mexico City. I'll let you know if it looks like it will actually happen.

#27- Sorry to hear that '06 was a bad year for you. I wish you only the best in 2007.

Hugs,

D.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was really interesting! Next year will be much better, you know with your new carreer and moving to a new state and all. It will be wonderful with your new risk taking outlook on life! ;) Shake things up baby!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I am sorry to hear about 2006... you deserve a FANTASTIC 2007!

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason watching the frieghters doing up and down the Great Lakes seems like a whistful and romantic idea. I am sure that it much more prosaic that the image in my mind, but for some reason it conjured a lovely mental picture.

And I love daffodils too. I could never live anywhere daffodils could not grow from the warming soil.

Happy Yule!

XO,

Foxy

8:16 AM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Merry Christmas!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

#6 - You will enjoy VT. It is most beautiful. It is one state that I have visited in which billboards are banned. You can actually see the scenery.

#7 - and oh, so cheap! (I love 'em too)

#8 - There is no sweeter revenge than to be successful.

#18 - I won't be impressed until he can do Richard III. Macbeth is SO common for 6 y/o's! [LOL!]

#22 - Yeah, I get that job, too. And the concept is really so easy.

#24 - Our daffodils are about an inch above ground. It does not bode well for spring. I fear they will freeze out in January here in PA.

#26 - Having been (and driven) in Boston, remind me NEVER to drive in Phoenix!

#27 - We all hope so, too!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

"I was harassed throughout grade, junior and into high school. Two of the bullies are now dead from reckless living. The other is an alcoholic. I earn six figures."

Living well is the best revenge... ;)

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2006 seems to have been a tough year for many...2007 is bound to be better. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself...now I have to come up with my own list...damn, one more thing to do for the holiday season. LOL

12:30 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

2006 wasn't all bad. You started a blog and met some really cool people. The glass is half full. How does that make you feel? ; )

I hope the glass stays 100% full in 2007.

Merry Christmas!

2:11 PM  
Blogger john said...

I want to someday be able to say I read many of Dicken's works. I started David Copperfield--but haven't finished and I love it.

I have started a rubber stamp collection. I only have two, but I love them.

When I get excited, I don't stutter, but I babble endlessly--it can get annoying.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Ineresting list, and I somewhat agree with your #9. I enjoy takin glunch by myself because a) it's a break from the office and b) I get to read!

5:41 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

26. Speaking of Arizona, Phoenix has the nastiest drivers I have ever seen, and I have been to Boston.

I AGREE! I will not miss the drivers here. The worst ever.

27. 2006 overall was not a good year. I hope 2007 is better.

I wish you the best year ever!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

#27 commentary: hear here!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

I can't imagine that your 2007 won't be better. Look how many of us there are to cheer you on. If I hooked you up with a meeting of Jack Radcliffe, would that make your 2007?

PS. I never knew Santa could be such a rough, tough, bad boy in bed. LMAO. Loved the email.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

What a great list. I love learning new things about you. I hope your 2007 is wonderful.

You mentioned Dickens in your list. I have never read him although Copperfield has been on my shelf for well over a year. That being said I picked up collection of his Christmas stories tonight and started reading A Christmas Carol on the train home. It's very funny. I can't wait to see how it ends.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. 15: The Chicago Lyric Opera is presenting "Dialogues of the Carmelites" this spring. I will be flying from Kansas City to Chicago to see/hear it. You should join me up there. I've also heard that the ending is overwhelming.

Re: your mother. Poulenc's choral works are wonderful, but they're difficult to sing. The harmonies and progressions are unexpected.

12:35 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I love knowing these 27 things about you.
I'm very glad you began your blog, so that I had opportunity to meet you and begin to get to know you.
I'm sorry that 06 has been a rough year for you. I hope that 07 has much more joy and satisfaction in it for you.
I, too love the dark, quiet stillness when the earth reaches the apogee of it's tilt into darkness and begins to move back toward the sun.
I like to sink into my own dark quiet stillness and feel my own quiet movement back into the light.
I wish you a splendid christmas.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

2006 was a bad year?

I had to use almost 4/5 of my retirement savings to "survive" this year do to sickness.

Now I have a problem with my wrists.

Put yourself in my shoes. lol

But I too started blogging.
06/21/06

Found a cute, pure breed cat.

Found myself.

And it's the first year I send Christmas cards. For some reason it was important for me to do so to a few bloggers this year.

8:44 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Anent your list:
Poulenc is way up there. "Dialogue" is great opera.
Dallas traffic and el paso parking lots scare me.
I haven't turned on th furnace but I did break down and use a nice big space heater. My cat made me.

IF you do finish Dickens, you might learn to love Hardy, or Feorge Eliot. I've come to love all those Victorian writers.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is a professional singer, not an amateur one.
What's wrong with a few photos of freighters if the kids' pictures are boring?
Sydney Greenstreet was born on your other nephew's birthday.

If someone I know hadn't suggested that I bring the old Lionel train to AA sand set it up for the grandkids, I would not have gotten into model trains and would be a lot richer today, though with one wife, 4 son's, 2 grandkids, 2 stepgrandkids, 3 daughters in law, DW , 30 model engines and 200 model cars,and the Winsome, I consider myself very rich

10:56 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

I try to be a good person, because I'm a firm believer in, what goes around, comes around.
As an adult, I'm sure you derived no satisfaction from their demise just a sadness that they were so cruel to you as a child.

I also do the cousin thingy.
eg (She's my third cousin twice removed). :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Bigezbear said...

Dude, I never met anyone who knew about Arvo Part. Oh. My. God.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the awful Phx drivers.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home