Thursday, December 14, 2006

How Your Mind Works


Every once in a while I thought I would throw out some Jungian psychology.
I was trained in a variety of analytical schools of theory, but in the end I went with the Jungians. This is not only to introduce people to Jungian psychology but to keep me in touch with my training.
Carl Gustav Jung (for those who don’t know of him) was a Swiss doctor who trained under Freud. He was considered Freud’s ‘heir apparent’. Their fallout has been the stuff of countless papers and books. To summarize their differences; Jung was an introvert. He saw more to man than the sexual instinct. He also developed a theory about a unconscious beyond the Personal Unconscious, called the Collective. (more on the Collective some other time). Freud and Jung went separate ways: Jung founded his own school of psychology.

It was Jung, not Freud who was really into ‘complexes’; a Complex is a complicated mixture of instincts, personal conscious and unconscious material, with a bit of the mentioned Collective Unconscious.

The human mind (goes the theory) works a bit like this; the Ego is the CEO of a board meeting. Around the table sit all the complexes that make your psyche. In a well mind, the complexes all have their say but it is the Ego that makes the executive decisions. in Pathology, a Complex or Two tries to take over and become the CEO. It decides it will be the Ego. If the Ego is strong enough it will rebuke -
Example: Joan in Mommie Dearest at the Pepsi Meeting “Don’t F*k with me fellas!!”
However, it is common for a Complex to 'get in the driver's seat' and try to run the whole show.

The word ‘shrink’ derives from the analytical process to deflate swollen complexes back into perspective. The Ego can not exorcise them; only shrink them to their appropriate size and space. And overall one doesn’t want the complexes to sit mum. Makes for a dull mechanical life; an adventureless tale.

There are a lot of complexes, and I will write about some of the more pertinent ones in other ‘lectures’.

14 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

My biggest complex, when I was younger - was a persecution complex.
Don't know if such a thing exists, but that's what I called it. It still rears it's head, but I'm aware of the 'motivations' behind it, and sometimes I think it is ethnically-centric (if that is a word); as I've noticed it culturally passed from generation-to-generation amongst my Jewish kin.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

You got me hooked.

I want some more!?

4:38 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

My unfortunate memory of Jung from My Psych classes (the tests for which were early versions of "Trivial Pursuit") was the question "Who's school of psychology included [insert Jungian concept here]?"
Answers:
A. Yung
B. Yuhng
C. Jung
D. Junge
since I had by that time multiple years of German under my belt, I had no problem with getting the right answer. I just had problem with the question. I guess that revealed my antipathy towards authority figures.

[Lemuel]

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that wonderful post. I also admire Jung. I spent many years trying to exorcise my own deamons, only to realize that they are what make me the person I am today.

No story is complete without villians afterall.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Every good group needs Jungian... I am so glad you are ours!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I am a fan of Jung as well. I have now taken 6 Psych courses and not once has he been mentioned in any of the lectures. Freud, Pavlov, Piaget, Bandura (my personal favorite) but never Jung. I guess in Canada he is not the CEO!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Foxy - you are spot on! We can't exist without a Shadow, and it is unwise to try to exorice it.
Mikey - Jung is the outcast in the psych field as his theories are probably impossible to prove in testing.

1:12 PM  
Blogger john said...

I once thought about going into psychiatry. I've heard there are now programs that integrate psychiatry with internal medicine, so that psychiatrists can be stationed in the E.R.

2:02 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

The problem that I have with some psychiatrist's is that they try to fit you in a box that corresponds with their learnings of Freud, Jung, Piaget, etc.
Depending on who's beliefs they follow.

Sometimes you don't belong in any particular box but are just depressed due to circumstances that have occurred in your life.
I've had psychiartist's prescribe medication without even finding out what what was wrong with me.(one visit)
eg. Some Bipolar shit that made me twitch at nite.(wellbutrin)
(I told her I wasn't bipolar, I was just very sad).

I took that for about two days before I talked to my physician and she gave me celexa, which has worked very well, and much less invasive.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At one point I read Answer to Job several times through without pause. It enabled me to get "out of the box" in some areas theologically. He's been a positive influence in my life.
I hope that your holiday is shaping up well.
Daniel

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I love outcasts!!! No surprise there! I guess I will have to learn more about him on my own! The strange thing is that they teach about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and that does not have empirical research to prove it either.

9:29 PM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

I look forward to future lectures, Herr Professor!! :)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

I'm a trained Jungian, too -- except mine was in theatre! Yes, I had a theatre prof/mentor who was big into Jung, and we did our character examinations in Jungian perspective. I loved it. Very challenging for the mind, and very rewarding.
Looking forward to more 'lectures'!
~mo

1:09 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Thanks for the lesson when's the test? Is is bad I pictured the instructor in is underwear when he was delivering this lesson?

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home