Friday, December 08, 2006

Office Party Obligation


Warning; this is a kvetch entry…

I am going to an office Christmas party this weekend.
I am not looking forward to this.

From a psychiatric point of view, the “Holidays” should be banned like asbestos. Both are hazardous to mental/physical health. Between November and early January I deal mostly with people depressed or unhappy about their situations at this time of year. It is a very busy and stressful time in my field. A ‘good Christmas’ means no one kills themselves.

In times past I have weaseled out of most of these office events by conveniently scheduling concerts or away trips on the proposed night. But this year I goofed; the tickets for “Doubt”are on the 8th, not the 9th as I thought. I had no excuse when asked by the bosses would I come.

Working relationships get a bit confused and giddy in social gatherings, particularly if cocktails are involved. It’s even worse with a bunch of people trained to observe and analyze what is being said and not said. We are supposed to ‘let our hair down’ some but I’ve seen the consequences of the fools who did. Not pretty. I still remember the drunken resident schmoozing with the Head of the Department in the University of Chicago Department Office Party. The horror.

Don’t poop where you eat.

Perhaps I am merely embarrassed that after a year working here I still don’t know people’s names. I don’t see or interact with staff other than the receptionists (these too come and go. Just as I get to know their names they rotate/move on). I suspect I will look foolish as I introduce Someone to the woman whose office is next to mine and say ‘I forgot your name, could you tell me again?”.

By not wanting to go, perhaps I am acting out some resentment towards the clinic. I have never worked so hard as at this place. The Burger King pace and the long hours made 2006 a weary year. Spending my free time with the clinic doesn’t sound appealing.

Ah well, stiff upper lip and try to make the best of it......

21 Comments:

Blogger TigerYogi said...

The Grinch photo was the perfect choice for this posting!

Courage Camille!! ;)

P.S. Maybe Someone could fake getting ill, and you could leave early...

7:23 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

The Grinch photo was the perfect choice for this posting!

Courage Camille!! ;)

P.S. Maybe Someone could fake getting ill, and you could leave early...

7:24 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

The Grinch photo was the perfect choice for this posting!

Courage Camille!! ;)

P.S. Maybe Someone could fake getting ill, and you could leave early...

7:24 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

The Grinch photo was the perfect choice for this posting!

Courage Camille!! ;)

P.S. Maybe Someone could fake getting ill, and you could leave early...

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Achoo?!

(Use wisely though cuz everytime I use the "Feeling to sick to Come" card fate bites me in the ass. You know, "what goes around comes around")

7:31 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Mine is tonight too - and I would rather take the MMPI twice in one sitting than go...

7:48 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

Blogger is acting up again! Sorry for the multiple comments.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Pretend it's research.

You're at the zoo and you need to analize the behaviour of the animals.

Someone can even get in on the action.

Have fun!?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Joel, that is precisely what everyone is going to do! some party!

9:47 AM  
Blogger DEREK said...

we're having ours today, and here I am at home on my lunch break.

10:26 AM  
Blogger john said...

Try to have a good weekend!!! I look forward to hearing about it.

10:45 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

I dread those parties for exactly the reasons you spoke about. :(

My advice for your office party; drink very little, smile a lot, and get out of there as fast as you can. :)

PS Regarding the name thingy

Have Someone with you and introduce him.

Example

You: Hi, how are you? I'd like you to meet my ....... Bill.

(Cough or get slightly distracted by something)Don't be obvious!! :)

Bill: “Nice to meet you, what’s your name?”

Good Luck :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

For a state that has a reputation for being laid back, AZ has a workaholic mentality, doesn't it?
Jay Haley wrote a screamingly funny piece on psychiatric conventions which I suspect applies every bit as well to parties, as there is no real difference between the two. Hopefully the weekend's events will give you a space in which to recover.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Old Pastor said...

The up side of your party is that you can take Someone with you openly. THAT alone almost makes it worth going. I echo the advice, "Drink little, say less." And let the drunks and others be the entertainment. Kick back a little, enjoy Someone's company and let the chips fall where they may -- as long as it's not off your plate.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

As an anti-social person, I say "don't go." I know everybody in my office and play nice, but they all know I don't like going to social functions to make small talk about nothing. In your situation, since you don't know anybody and it sounds like you don't want to go anyway, why make it a chore? Just don't go.

My 2 pesos...

1:05 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

It could be worse. You could be responsible for planning the party and therefore required to stay until the last guest has departed. Such is my luck for our party this evening.

I'd be happy to trade places with you.

Feel better?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I think you'll muster through just fine. I made up an excuse and got out of my works party this year. It's Saturday afternoon at the frickin zoo. I'm like, I work with a bunch of zoo animals as it is...
Let me know what you think of Doubt. I was considering catching that one.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Jason, Doubt was fantastic!
See it! Very thoughtful!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

you can do it Spo! I actually enjoy them or at least a short visit. I have one with my Internship desing firm next Friday at a dinner theater. Sould be a blast!

12:28 AM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Explosive diarrhea...that's always a good excuse not to go.

My office is party is next Wednesday evening after work...a simple dinner with the dopes. I like it that way.

3:40 AM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

What I find interesting is we always have these office Christmas praties but it seems the consensus is that nobody like them. Or is it only the introverts who dislike them?

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home