Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter Solstice

It is the Winter Solstice; the darkest time of the year. My ancestors (all coming from northern climates) would celebrate this time with fires and lights, to welcome the return of the Sun. Springtime is around the corner and new life. Just as it is the darkest; the light returns.
I like the Winter Solstice. I light a few candles, and I think.
I think my last entry upset and worried some when I said 2006 was overall a bad year. I think I was having a bad day and ruminating on the World's Woes too much.
Rodger at RodgetDodger recently reminded me in a few comments that life ain't too bad. Thank you Rodger and others toofor reminding me that 2006 was the year I fell down the rabbit hole into that fabulous Wonderland of Blogging. I have enjoyed it a great deal. I have grown fond of my fellow bloggers, men and woman. I very much look forward to reading them each day. I laugh at their jokes. I get sad when they hurt. While I have never met or talked to any of them (so far) I consider them friends. I am thankful for all of you.
So these are good thoughts on this darkest of days. I welcome the Sun and a 'new year' with hopes of growing friendships. Who knows, I may meet one or two of you!

Please stop by on Christmas; I will have virtual Christmas 'prizes' for everyone.
Yours,
Ur-Spo

15 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

Everyone's allowed to have a glass half empty sort of day every once in a while. I can't wait to stop by on Christmas...I love prizes.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Thank you for your greeting. I will stop by after Christmas Day to pick up the "prize" if it is still there. (I will be "out of commission" on Christmas Day.)

A blessed Christmas to you and Someone.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Solstice, friend! I like to think of the day as the universe teetering on the edge of possibilities. We've endured the season of slumber and now will awaken in a new state of mind, with a refreshed and rested heart, mind, and soul.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For someone that makes 6 figures, life should be pretty damn sweet!
:)
Have a great Christmas, I don't think I will be able to touch the keyboard for a few days.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Awww....Spo, I consider you a friend as well. :)

Merry Christmas!!!!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Spo, we all have our off days, heavens knows I've had mine. I think sometimes this time of year reinforces those "half-empty" days because we are all told to "Be of good cheer." Sometimes it is ok just to be! Hope the season lightens your mood like the sun lightens the sky! (Pretty darn poetic, huh?)

Benton (it wouldn't let me log in!)

9:25 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

Whoops...that Mark above is me. I used the wrong login so it looks like Mark, my partner, sent it.

Google beta drives me crazy!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Ah, you're such a sweet soul :)
Hope you and your family have a Happy and Safe Holiday!

I'll be back for a Christmas Prize!

11:35 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

Well I was able to delete the post but not my explanation post.

I tell ya this beta account bites.

So here is what I meant to post.

Thanks Spo, I simply wanted to cheer you a bit.

We all must visit the dark side at times in order to truly appreciate the light. Your blog is part of the light and all those who comment agree and are part of that light as well.

Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas...my friend!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Old Pastor said...

Thank you for being you and for being real enough to share when you are having a "down" day or an up day. Your friendship, support, and posts have been a mainstay of my day for some time now. I look forward to Christmas prizes, and to more of your insights, emotions, and explanations. May you and Someone have a most joyous and blessed Christmas. Give each other the most precious gift you can -- your love and your heart. God bless.

12:48 PM  
Blogger freethoughtguy said...

Solstice Greetings from San Francisco!

1:00 PM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

Joyous Solstice and a Happy Pancha Ganapati!!! :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

What a great day of RAIN that we had here in the Valley of the Sun...very winter-esque. It will prepare me for the bayous of Louisiana...wet and cold.

Merriest of holidays Michael and Someone

6:31 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Spo - there is no need to apologize - as much as you are here for all of us, being here for you is the least we can all do - you are a fine man - and one I am happy to be able to call a friend!

Happy Solstice and enjoy your extra minute everyday!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Doug Taron said...

Happy Solstice. I am so looking forward to the increased light and longer days ahead. Your reflections on time and friendship made me realize that we have been friends for nearly seven years now. You are definitely one of the people in my life who makes the journey worthwhile (Someone, too).

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home