Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Some End of the Year (Spo) Reflections


I write my reflections mostly ahead of time, when there is a ‘No Show’. A “No Show” is a scheduled patient who does not appear – or call to cancel or explain. It happens frequently in medicine but perhaps more so in psychiatry as there is more ambivalence about seeing this sort of doctor. "No shows" evoke a positive emotion – they give me time to return calls/write ‘scripts or take a break. I am on salary, so I get paid if I see people or not.

I am glad 2006 is winding down. When I look back on 2006, it overall a fatiguing. I still write a diary. At the end of each year I read these journals to recap and remember the year. This year’s read evokes a ‘how dull’ reaction. Apart from some pleasant trips, the rest of the year (my daily life) wasn’t very interesting. Mostly it was work and the effects of long work hours. I try not to record a lot of details about work in my journal book – and I’ve put much of my philosophical writing into this blog rather. So the diary is sparse.

I arrive at the end of 2006 tired. I am also not in good shape. I used to be much better with exercise and yoga. Everything in Phoenix is a car trip and through lots of traffic – between the driving effort and the work hours, I’ve had less time to exercise. I need to do better in 2007 or I will be dead by 50.

On the positive, the budget for the year ended ‘in the black’ with some put away for retirement. I earned more this year than in the past years. I’ll have to calculate if my charity donations increased in proportion. When I have money fears, I tend to get cheap.

The end of the year brings in the seed catalogs. These make me excited and hopeful.
These brightly coloured photographs of flowers and vegetables evoke dreams of far off spring gardens. I don’t garden much any more (this being Arizona). But I try to do something. Hot peppers in pots, and container tomatoes. I may have to forgo the heirlooms for (ugh) hybrids developed for small pots and containers.

We were to go to Palm Springs for New Year’s Eve but our usual spot wanted a 5 day minimum stay. Stinko. So we are likely to stay home.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is that cute man in the hat and yellow slicker?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw... you are so efficient it is frightening.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

It's the German in me.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I reread some of my journals from the past two years the other day and they were scary and inspiring at the same time. BTW CUTE man in the photo...will I meet him if I come to Arizona?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Sorry to hear that 2006 had such an effect on you. I applaud your ability though to take a moment to reflect on the year. When I've had a bad year I tend to just plow in to the next year hoping for the best. I plan to do my own reflecting this year as I prepare for 2007.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Well Spo...Quiet time at home can be well spent, if you know what I mean. Heck, I know where I'd be if I could on NY's Eve. Let's just say I wouldn't be hitting horizontal heights.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I hope your 2007 brings brighter days.

Happy to see you are now posting on GMR.

5:21 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

Sounds like it's a good thing that 2006 is coming to an end.

Here's hoping that 2007 will be more about you and what you want in life to make you a healthier and happier person.

Human beings cannot long remain healthy in an environment in which they are out of harmony.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hopefully 2007 will continue in the black, allow you more time to exercise, and provide more than just the stresses of work.

9:57 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

2006 sucked for me too...

Here's looking to a happy, healthy, 2007! :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

2006 is almost over so it's time to focus on the year to come. Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

5:08 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Cheers to a better year in '07!

5:29 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

When I look back at 2006, the only accomplishments I'm truly proud of are work related. That tells me I need to make strides in my personal life, but I'm not sure where to start. I guess I've always plowed into the next year without reflection, like maddog. This year I vow to do better. Thanks and Happy New Year!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Unfortunately I'm going to get a chance to do a year in review but you never know. Have a Happy New year!

6:47 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

2006 has been a trying year for all, It seems.
Doing something with the earth, gardening or landscaping,has always been a restorative for me. Working with animals also.
I very much wish an infusion of strength and joy for you and Someone.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

2006 was a hard slog for me, too. I hope it gets a little less sloggy this next year (5 more minutes!!! Cover your ears; every Who down in Whoville is about to fire off a gun at the uncaring sky. It would be nice to get a little fun into my life, finally.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home