Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday Morning (Spo) Reflections

My best friend moved to rural Wisconsin. Whenever I call him he badgers me to move there (after all, it is the Badger state). We should close down Arizona and move to Wisconsin and start ‘Chapter Two” of life. He is clever that he puts out all the right baits. There will be seasons again and acres of cheap land next door to grow organic vegetables. We could set up a Bed and Breakfast (how about the name “Bachelor Boys Bed and Breakfast”?). I would be closer to Chicago, friends, and family. Oh, the list goes on.
And, I could even practice medicine as a solo practice again. On my terms.
It all sounds attractive. Peter Pan take me away!

Being of Midwest conservative stock, I have always taken the ‘safe’ routes. I went to college rather than traveling the world. I went to medical school rather than some alternative jobs that I fancied. I took a comfortable State job rather than going into psychoanalysis. I work for others rather than figuring out how to make it on my own.

I admire people in life and literature who have the courage to say "The present situation is not acceptable. It will not to continue. I will move on." They make changes, even if it means walking into the unknown without security. I have never done that apart from coming out. (which was liberating beyond words).
Most of these courageous people had nasty knocks on the way, but many go onto fulfilling their Self.

I fear I will turn into “Randy” rather. Randy was a friend who wasn’t happy in his 20 year old job. He ground his teeth on the way to work, and ground his teeth on the way home each Friday, knowing it would start up again on Monday. He came alive and was happy in other things. But he would never make the changes to make the other things ‘his life’. Why not? Security. He wanted a sure income and the familiar. So far as I know he is still there – either depressed or heading for a heart attack.

I suspect something will change in the land of Spo in 2007. Someone is not happy with his job and is looking for a change. This will mean another move for us.
Perhaps ‘Chapter Two” will be so?

11 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Wanna share a U-Haul? I am soooooooooooooooooo jumping out into the unknown. I feel the exact same way. Good luck to you; perhaps I'll stop by your B&B one day :)

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true words, spo, true words...

life is a trip
that we sometimes take
we might land up on our ass
or we might just break
our sadness in two
and find that life is full
inside and out

good for you!!!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I'll echo Sorted. Follow your heart. You have too much life yet to live to waste in unhappiness. Why not a B and B in WI? I'll even sign on as an apprentice baker under the Master Spo.

:)

Find what makes you happy and do it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

Have you ever lost someone close to you who was too young to die?

It's an awakening that rivals no other.

Never mind those who are "of age", that are near and dear to you.

I know it's a cliche, but "life is too short,go for it".

2:23 PM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

I feel excited all over for you! I would love to have the freedom to move around and try things out. The feeling of being your own boss is a wonderful one. I hope your travels take you to happiness.I have found that when you have faith in God he takes care of you. He will lead you to where you need to be easy or not.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Sounds like 2007 is going to be an exciting year... change is a good thing - especially when it is happening to both of you...

8:44 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Sometimes you need to change to survive and there is nothing wrong with that.

10:12 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Spo...you make the present sound miserable and I'm sure it's not. Having said that you do need to follow your heart and you pursued a career that allows you much flexibility.

Move on...that is clearly what you want so do it. You will land on your feet and you know that so take the chance. Change is good. You have the means and the support of family and frineds and most importantly...Someone.

11:56 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Spo...you make the present sound miserable and I'm sure it's not. Having said that you do need to follow your heart and you pursued a career that allows you much flexibility.

Move on...that is clearly what you want so do it. You will land on your feet and you know that so take the chance. Change is good. You have the means and the support of family and friends and most importantly...Someone.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Sounds like it may be a good time for a change. Risk-taking is not ALWAYS all it's cracked up to be! But neither is security for security's sake, you know?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

It's no better to be safe than sorry.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home