Saturday, June 03, 2006

Stupidity


I can never decide whether or not I am stupid. I daresay it takes a kind of cleverness to get through medical school and pass specialty boards. But my shrewdness in medical matters is undone by my stupidity in other aspects of life. To wit < How does the entertainment centre work – we shelled out good money to have a new screen, outdoor speakers, and a system installed to manage it all. On the counter sit 5 remote control panels; I do not know how to use any of them. I constantly rely on Someone to show me how to turn on the Weather Channel or my music (and since neither do much for him he is in no great hurry to instruct).

How does the computer camera work – my brother gave me some sort of video camera that allows others to see me ‘live’ on the internet, in lieu of long distance phone calls. Family and friends as far away as Japan badger me to get it up and going. I have been avoiding it partially as I don’t know. The main reason is I am afraid that if I touch it the computer will crash.

How the car runs – I took out some books on this so as not to sound a rube at the car repair appointments. None of this has sunk in. I can tell you how the ascending reticular nerves transport what neurotransmitters to which parts of the brain, but not how the engine makes the wheels go round.

How to iron a shirt – I mean crisp and proper. Mine would rate a B+ on the best of days.

How to grill meat – as we possess a built-in gas grill the size of desk, I am putting it to use. My attempts with chops and piggies range from charred black to undercooked – or both. I haven’t approached beef.
A book on the topic of grilling was recently purchased. It is simultaneously fabulous and butch. I have more hopes for this than with the technical devices.

If anyone has tips on these matters, I am open to suggestions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I could help with the entertainment center and the computer camera, the rest is lost on me too, and as far as ironing isn't that why they created wrinkle free clothing?

I never iron, ever, it's pointless to me, as soon as you sit down you're wrinkled all over again, why put yourself through the frustration?

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home