Friday, July 28, 2006

What is an "UR-SPO"?

MEK at Bear in a Box recently asked about the name “Ur-Spo”. I looked it up <

Ur
A city of ancient Sumer in southern Mesopotamia on a site in present-day southeast Iraq. One of the oldest cities in Mesopotamia, it was an important center of Sumerian culture after c. 3000 B.C. and the birthplace of Abraham. The city declined after the sixth century B.C.

ur-pref.
Original; prototypical; ur-language.

[From German ur-, original. See Ursprache.]

Well!

I once read a series of fantasy novels where the main character was given the title “Ur-Lord”. I liked “Ur” as it sounds ancient, primordial.
Mostly, it sounds butch.

I no longer remember where “Spo” comes from. It goes back to the 80s, my college days, when my friends and I found it hilarious to say and to use. It still evokes a smile and a chuckle.

So, Ur-Spo seems to suggest an ancient joke, or the foundation of something both primordial and funny.
It seemed apt six months ago when I started a blog.

Besides, there are so many ‘Michaels’ on line.

2 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Thanks, I was just going to ask how you came up with all that.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

U-R So Pathetic Old man?!

lol

Joke!!!!!????

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home