Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Curious Things around the House #1


This mask is “Bookwus”, carved by Beau Dick (Kwakwaka'wakw)
It hangs in the alcove in my front hallway.

A Bookwus – or Bakwas – is a malevolent spirit in the Pacific Northwest Native American culture of the Kwakwaka’wakw. He is the keeper of drowned souls; he causes loss of reason and sanity; he lures people into the night woods; his victims survive by finding minimal sustenance in the forest.
He has a green hairy body, is nominally shy, and has a frightening, skeletal visage. The souls of those he captures are lost forever and become members of his retinue.

Bookwus is their explanation for depression and insanity. When mental illness happens, shaman healers will exorcise the depressive spirit via a medicinal ceremony.
This mask was actually used in the treatment of mental illness of First Nations people in British Columbia.
My art dealer, Mr. Reynolds, at http://www.douglasreynoldsgallery.com, knew I would want it; being fond of the Northwest Art and being a shrink.

I used to hang it in the office at work but it was too effective; not only did it frighten away evil depressive spirits, it frightened away a few patients too.

So, Mr. Bookwus hangs in the foyer and keeps the house ‘clean’.

11 Comments:

Blogger David said...

reminds me of an ex boyfriend of mine actually !

10:48 AM  
Blogger Maddog said...

That would scare the crap out of me. I am hoping that he's been working for you.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Looks like my first boyfriend when he would wake up in the morning...

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I love the mask!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Vic Mansfield said...

Does your mask spirit do contract work? I could think of some folk I might want him to talk to!

Just kidding. It is really great. I love northwestern art, as well. What an interesting choice for a psychiatrist.

Cheers, Joe.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

I have a contact at Elizabeth Arden that could work wonders on that green skin tone.

Nice background notes though.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I think Mr. Bookwus is kind of cute, although I would admit I would find it rather disturbing if he were present in the offices of the medical professionals who care for me.

But one question, if he keeps the house clean, does he do windows? :)

3:52 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I think Mr. Bookwus would definitely provoke a response or reaction in any encounter. I'm not very familiar with Amerindian art/culture/spirituality of the northwest. I'm more familiar with the imagery of the southwest.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

As much as I love the mask, I'm having trouble getting past the name of the artist.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

well, that's his name!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Cliffie, The Lemming Girl said...

So claims Beau.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home