Sunday, August 06, 2006

Damn Cat

An hour before I was due to pick up my brother at the airport and six hours before company was to arrive for dinner, I discover the cat urinated all over the good chair in the living room. It was soaked. After hysterics, I got down to work trying to cleanse the chair and cushions. After several washes it still reeks. I fear the chair is too far gone.

I am very frustrated with the cat. He’s never done this before, so age (he is 15) may be the culprit, or he may have a UTI (urinary tract infection) or some other medical condition. Someone thinks he did it out spite, and I fear this is correct.

Never having owned a cat before, I am more worried about the situation continuing. Does it ever get to the point of putting down a cat merely because it is destructive? How the heck can I rid myself of a companion of 15 years merely because he has a bladder problem?. (I hope Somone doesn’t abandon me if such a case happened!).
Well, this is being written in a pique of emotions. Best not to do anything but calm down and try not to project too much onto a dumb animal that may be old or sick.

8 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

And this would be why I have THE PERFECT dog :)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Did you neglect the cat this week?!

Just go to the vet if it happens again.

If it is an infection, pills for a week will fix it.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Cats are different than dogs in many ways, but based on my experience with my first dog, I would recommend you take your pal to the vet. Our first dog suddenly started losing control and we thought it was a behavior problem or even a urinary infection. It turned out to be a bladder stone. Nasty little creature the size of a walnut (in a 20 lb. dog's bladder) and as sharp as a burr. The vet did surgery to remove it and she was fine for the rest of her life.

Too bad about the chair. I hope it was not your favorite. But I think that the cat's problem can be controls with some meds.

As far as putting the cat down. Wow! That's tough. I've had to have two animals put down (one cat one dog) and it was the toughest thing I've ever had to do, especially when I had the dog for over 15 years and she was the sweetest dog ever.

Good luck!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

Cat needs the VET now. It could possibly be bladder crystals which are creating the false need to pee. It will get worse before it gets better if that is the case; medication can help. Surgery is sometimes requried in some instances. I don't think the chair was peed out of spite. Toss the chair; once a cat marks a territory...it's a done deal. That scent is never gonna come out, I'm afraid.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Vic Mansfield said...

Sad about your chair and your cat. 15 is way up there for cats. I'll bet it is age or illness. But one never knows with cats.

I've heard that vodka will take the smell out. Surely there are remedies on-line.

Timing is everything, it seems.

Cheers, Joe.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Why do children do things like this at the worst possible times? Good luck and probably get the fella to the vet...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Could be a bladder problem, or, maybe he was pissed at something. Chris says his cat will piss on the bed - right in the spot where he sleeps if the cat is pissed about something. And, how do you know when a cat is pissed off about something anyway?

3:38 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Never happened before? Probably not a spite thing.

Vet first, always. Never even consider putting them down until you have all the information.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home