Friday, August 25, 2006

Friday Night

We have left Stratford, heading for Niagra-on-the-Lake.
Yesterday night we saw The Glass Menagerie. This was my first time seeing it done by a professional group. it was overall good. The southern accents weren't good. The acting was very good. Thomas was obviously gay; he resembled my cousin.
Friday was had a drink with one of the administration folks at the Festival. This is a sort of 'thank you for supporting us' and "please, keep supporting us'. I got to see behind the stage for the first time; a treat.
The afternoon performance was Coriolanus. This was very good; brutual and excellent sword fights. Martha Henry did an excellent job delivering a fantastic speech. She is a heartless woman who raised a heartless son, now pleading with the son to show mercy for the one time in his life.
Afterwards, I got to meet one of the actors, Bernard Hopkins. I have going to Stratford for about 25 years; he has been working there about the same. I wrote a 'fan letter'; he responded. So we promised to meet up afterwards. It was quite a treat. Half an hour ago this quiet pleasant British man had been on stage ruthless and shouting. Quite a contrast.
After 5 tragedies, we finished with Twelth Night, which they set in India. I haven't seen this play in years. It was a a nice way to end the season.
Overall the best of the 6 was Ghosts; it literally was haunting, and I want to write more about it some day.
But now it is midnight; we're in a seedy Howard Johsons. Tomorrow we drive to Niagra on the Lake to attend the Shaw Festival
I hope you all are doing well; I am thinking of you.

3 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Michael, I'm glad that you and Someone are having a great time. I love The Glass Menagerie - I've read it many times, but have never seen it on stage. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Steve

9:55 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

A fan letter. I didn't realize you were such a theatre whore!

Happy to hear you're having a great time and I'm really glad Coriolanus was a good production. I hate when great theatre is done poorly.

Looking forward to what you do next...unless it invloves more gnomes.

Kidding!

10:05 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I'm glad you're having such a good time. Afterseeing so much theater in such a brief span of time, you will no doubt have a great deal to "chew on" for some time to come.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home