Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Henry IV and Bruchetta

We drove into Canada and over to Lake Huron. In our travels we have seen four of five Great Lakes! We are in a small town on the Eastern Shore of Lake Huron, called Bayfield. What a delight to see open water, and feel the waves onto the beach. This is where I grew up, where a branch of my father's side comes from. It feels like 'home'.
We are staying here at Bayfield as we are meeting some chums who wished to stay here. Tomorrow they arrive. One of them is a sort of celebrity; Martin Katz plays concert piano for some of the big name Divas; through him I have met Marilyn Horne and Renee Fleming. They may be bringing their friend David Daniels, who is a well known countertenor. Always a cool experience to rub elbows with Martin's world.
I have been going to Stratford since 1981 so this make 25 years in a row. The little town more or less stays the same. This is the first year though we are not staying in it.
One of our favorite places to eat in town is Down the Street Cafe. They have a bruchetta to die for. I look forward to it like some folks look forward to Thanksgiving Dinner; locally grown tomatoes cubed with a light oil and basil; on top of toasted rustic bread, spread with a mild dry smooth goat cheese. While it is actually an appetizer, I eat it as my dinner. It and a glass of red wine is food for the gods, or at least the demi-gods.
We saw Henry IV part one at the Patterson Theatre. We were in the first row, so we felt 'in' the show. We have seen the same actors over the years, some of them have been here as long as I have been attending. Mr. Blendik made a splendid Falstaff. On stage there was sufficient eye candy; and the battle scenes were quite butch. Some of the acting was over the top, so we thought it a 'mixed review'.
It is midnight, and I am pooped; too tired to check on everyone else's blogs and going on. I will do so tomorrow.
Oh, and it is 60 degrees! Loving that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Maddog said...

The bruchetta sounds heavenly. Did I mention how jealous I am of all the theatre that you are going to be seeing. A weekend of theatre would be incredible. I hope that you enjoy every minute of it, and I'll be waiting patiently for a report on every show.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I'm enjoying immensly the log of your experiences. The meal sounded divine and Shakespeare - with eye candy - and butch fights? Day-yum! ***grin*** Continue to have a great time!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!?
We do have great cool weather right now!?

Keep having fun!?

3:49 AM  
Blogger john said...

Have a lot of fun and keep posting about it!! It's interesting to see other places thru someone else's eyes.

7:06 AM  
Blogger rodger said...

"...so this makes 25 years in a row."

Careful Michael, your age is showing. ; )

It sounds like a gret trip so far and Mr. Katz's world sounds like a vacation of it's own.

I can't wait to hear about Coriolanus!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Good food, good theatre, good company, good weather... sounds like the perfect trip to me...

ENJOY!

10:05 AM  
Blogger jnuts said...

The only problem I see, is that you didn't stop and pick me up on the way out of town.

1:07 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Thanks for the update on your trip...we miss you :) And it's 45 degrees in Phoenix LOL LOL LOL :)

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home