Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Archetypes

What is an Archetype?

Oh Oh. I am getting into difficult waters which always true when you try to explain or talk about the Archetype in Jungian psychology. Like light, when you try to explain ‘what it is’ it gets complicated. You can sense them and see their effects but never know them directly. So to describe them in blunt words is challenging.
Let me start with a metaphor to my difficulty; Anna Russell’s narrative of Wagner’s Ring Cycle of Wagner. She is spot on accurate in describing the basic principles of this 20 hour saga – yet in its comic simplicity it conveys nothing of the splendor/complexity or numinous. Trying to put Jungian terms into simple language for others to understand runs the risk of making it sound absurd or silly. But I will try my best.

In his travels and studies Jung saw in every culture (past and present) basic human draws to things, certain types of people and universal objects.
Examples: the mother, the father, the ruler, and the shaman.
Examples of things; the Sun, the Moon, the Stars, and Water and Fire.
Through time and evolution of both the brain and culture, we are ‘wired’ to be emotional towards many things. He called universal connection the Collective Unconscious. At the heart of any Complex is something called The Archetype.

Archetypes are inherited innate and a priori modes of perception, linked to instincts, which regulate our perception. They are primordial ideas, common to all mankind, and they express only through Archetypal images. They are charged with emotion and function autonomously from the unconscious. Works of Art, Myths, and Symbols get us in touch with Archetypes.

I better give an example.
Let’s use the Father Archetype.
When you relate to your father, you relate not only to the physical man who is your father (in all his good and bad) but you come in contact with The Father - what the Father means throughout history/society and in your culture.
For those who know Tarot, the Card “The Emperor” in an archetypal image of The Father and all He can be, both good and bad. You recognize him/feel him maybe sometimes without conscious thought. The Card accesses the Archetype and its paternal energy, or libido as Jung called psychic energy. Jungian psychoanalysis is a exploration first of the personal, but also of the Collective. It is about how to you relate/connect to the Archetypes.

There are many Archetypes, some more ubiquitous and powerful than others.
Some famous ones are the Shadow, the Anima, the Trickster, The Self. I’ll write about some of these in later “Jung 101” entries.
Archetypes are universal but the people/symbols we use to get in touch with them change over time. The Western mind often – but not always – identifies with the Greek Mythos. But any culture’s Gods and Figures do fine. Mercury = Loki= Spider = Raven = Trickster.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to come back when I am awake.

:)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

firstly, the picture is awesome.
secondly, please continue in this vein
thirdly...

so to really see these archetypes in action, one must look at the mythology of a society? Even with Christianity, we have a mythology, though most would not see it in that manner. For example... we still have the father and son... the father sacrificing the son. There is also the maternal, loving side in Mary. And Judas as the trickster. And Mary Magdalene as the lover. (Just by having her by Mary's side at the tomb is enough proof for me... even if some play the love to be chaste it is still love) So though Christianity supposes one deity, there are many more in play in our thoughts.

So even with a monotheistic religion we have managed to resurrect the other archetypes in our thoughts.

Am I on the right track here?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

You started me reading about Jung when you posted a while back and this quote came to mind. It is from one of the many letters he wrote to Freud..."I dare say that we shall one day discover in astrology a good deal of knowledge that has been intuitively projected into the heavens. For instance, it appears that the signs of the zodiac are character pictures, in other words libido symbols which depict the typical qualities of the libido at a given moment."
I can't wait until next class!!!

7:33 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Very interesting post. I'm glad you are planning to continue this discussion. Thanks.

8:59 AM  
Blogger TigerYogi said...

Very informative!

Although, you should have ended it with "I'm not making this up, you know!!" ;)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Foxy- very true! the archetypal images change but the archetypes stay the same.
Kids today relate to the archetypes in popular movies like the StarWars (Darth Vader!)
Mikey - Jung spent a lifetime researching lots of things trying to find psychological value in them. For example, Alchemy he thought was really symbolic knowledge about the Self, not turning lead into gold.
Hanuman - Yes, I am not making this up you know! (Oh how I love her phrase!)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Aye gods! That takes me back to high school psychology. Something I wish I had pursued.

Give us more!

Ya' gotta wonder what cards Death is holding in his hand.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

Love the picture, and the post is awesome. As a writer, I often think of Jungian Archetypes in my characters. I guess I had not "transferred" this thinking to the Tarot, but it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for always enlightening us, doc!

12:01 PM  
Blogger David said...

Well, before my last two doctors, I was into bioenergetics and biofeedback and now I'm really fascinated by "Jung", you know, the collective unconscious the archetypal triangle father/mother/child, that all comes down to that, doesn't it?
From Streisands "The Concert" were you and Babs seperated at birth?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

Doug - there are previous 'Jung 101' lectures in 12/06 reflections. Death always holds cards with transformation/major changes.
Morgen - glad to oblige!
David - "shriek" the nose and voice give it away each time.

12:57 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Of course with Jung you shouldn't end up right back where you started.

4:17 PM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Hmmm. Deep. I'll have to come back to this after I finish watching the Tivo'd marathon of America's Next Top Model. ;)

4:41 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

Love the photo!
I'm sure I'll understand more as our lessons continue but......

The Father Archetype

My father died when I was young and I have always been attracted to men older than me. My ex-husband was in his thirties and I was barely nineteen. He was a father figure to me I now realize looking back. He also treated me like a child.
Is this anything close to what you are speaking of?

4:51 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Spo, honey, you need to dumb this down for me to 4th grade level. But I can see you are super smart. I am green with envy.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

So this might start to explain my problems!?

6:01 AM  
Blogger Doug Taron said...

If I reacll correcly there is a magician/transformer archetype. I've always liked that one because of the transformative work that we do at the Fen. Plus we use fire a lot as a transforming agent, and the whole life coming out of death idea always seems nearby during prairie burns. Powerful stuff.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

It is odd that when I was a kid reading greek mythology and those stories were so much more interesting than the biblical ones. Hmm...I do need to know more about Jung, so please continue.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home