Monday, June 05, 2006

Muses out to lunch (with the Fates)


For some time I have been waiting for one of the Muses to inspire or slap me across the head with a topic. The Muses may be resting. I have had a near daily put out for a while; perhaps they prefer an occasional ‘orgy’ to a nightly routine.

I recall an analysand patient of mine who was a writer. He defended his writing not as a means to work through his neurosis but as a necessity. He had to write, he felt he had little choice in the matter. This seemed reasonable, so I did not work against it. Artists express themselves not because they want to but because they have to; they would go to pieces if disallowed their art.
I have the ‘urge’ to write, so that is a good sign. I hope it is a sign of artistryand not just some passing emotion. I hope I don’t lack talent. In the words of Ms. Wagner “that would be like a perfectionist who can’t get anything right”.
I recently was cheered on and up by a professional writer, whose work I admire. I got enough courage to send her an email message of “I like your work and thank you etc”. I mentioned I am trying to write. She replied. It was short (I suspect she gets lots of email like mine) but it was supportive. “Yeah, go to it!” was the response.

Not much but I feel both honored and encouraged. Now for a topic or two……...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home