Friday, September 22, 2006

A Bit of Blake


O for a voice like thunder, and a tongue
To drown the throat of war! – When the senses
Are shaken, and the soul is driven to madness
Who can stand? When the souls of the oppressed
Fight in the troubled air that rages, who can stand?
When the whirlwind of fury comes from the
Throne of God, when the frowns of His countenance
Drives the nations together, who can stand?
When Sin claps his broad wings over the battle,
And sails rejoicing in the flood of Death;
When souls are torn to everlasting fire,
And fiends of Hell rejoice upon the slain,

O who can stand? O who hath caused this?
O who can answer at the throne of God?

The Kings and Nobles of the Land have done it!
Hear it not, Heaven, Thy Ministers have done it!

9 Comments:

Blogger rodger said...

A very dark lullaby that gives me nightmares.

Might I suggest a trip here...

http://sporeflections.blogspot.com
/2006/09/try-to-be-happy.html

10:19 AM  
Blogger Butterfly in Disguise said...

Um, maybe my post was a little morbid? It seems it had a bit of an adverse effect on you?

Hope you have a great day!;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I would suggest that you send this to the Republican Party but none of them are bright enough to understand it...

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

No words...well maybe two...well said

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Blake is amazing.

Would that our schools resumed teaching such wondrous literature and requiring thought and reflection on it! I am convinced our world would be a better place.

6:06 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Thanks for the HEAVINESS reminder. I remember reading this somewhere many years ago; it now has an entirely different meaning for me. I'm going to file this in the back of my brain now...I'm going to have fun this weekend. TGIF!!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I've always liked Blake--he's as close to being a mystic as I think the English could ever come.

8:44 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

W. Blake, a truly great man, much greater for who he was than any of his many accomplishments. Such force and passion in his words. Are you familiar with the poetry of Christopher Smart?

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh for a voice like the rain and the sight to wash all my mischeif away
for things that never happen but make
us who we are today

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home