Monday, September 18, 2006

Try to Be Happy

There is a lot of unhappiness and sorrow around these days. Maybe it is ‘no more than usual’ , but with the media and the internet we know of everyone’s sorrow everywhere, and it gets too much for one person.
We (meaning Americans) are the some of the most well off people in history. Even our poverty is deemed luxurious by history standards and contemporary countries. We seem to have everything – but we are not happy. Driving to work today I sensed from the interactions on the road people were in a great rush to get to work/whereever but weren't joyful for going.

Mark Twain once met Helen Keller, and asked her if she was happy in her dark inner world.
Yes, Mr. Clemens, I am very happy in my world” she signed back through the interpreter.
He responded “Helen, I want you to know, that out here in our world, happy people are as rare as white blackbirds in Hell”.

Despite everything try to be happy today. And grateful for what you have. It still rings true that a lot of our lives are as good as we choose to see it.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell my boys all the time, "Life is what you make it."

They don't believe me.

Happy Day M!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Michael, you just made me laugh so hard. I noticed my blog on your list, I think you missed a letter, so I will have to go change all my stuff to read Butt x fly.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Thanks for the Monday re-direct. I will aim to be happy, if not angelic (***EG***), in my world today!

HUGS! May you also find much happiness in your world today!

9:15 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

My thanks to you and your literary co-worker, Mark Twain, one of the great stylists of all time.
Your presence and your words are a gift.
I just decided to be happy today.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

True words and a nice post for Monday morning. Hope you're having a happy day.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I couldn't agree more, there's so much fear and anger in our world, so many people don't know how to live without that fear, there's too much concern over things we can not change. If more people could learn to let those things go and focus on the things that make them happy in life and trust that all things will work out for the best, then there'd be a lot more happiness to go around. I'm a little under the weather today, sore throat, tired, mild headache, but you know what, I'm happy! Go figure!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

A friend of mine asked me why I was so happy all the time. I replied, "Because I choose to be." Happiness is definetly a choice one makes, or doesn't make!
Hugs, handsome.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

This is how we all need to approach life... thanks for the gentle reminder...

1:57 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Funny, my drive in MADE me happy. It was raining and cool and very autumn like. I love autumn weather so I was all smiles.

But good advice all the same!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

My day is almost over, but I will choose to be happy tomorrow and the next and the next....

3:50 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Very well said Michael. Generally, I think I'm a pretty happy person. I notice that when I am unhappy, again, which is rare, I think of it as a waste of time. If it's work related unhappiness, I tell myself, "THEY ARE NOT PAYING YOU FOR THIS STRESS" and I change my mindset. If it's outside of work, I think of it as an intrusion on my weekend or evening's fun. Time is too valuable to be spending it unhappy. I know that there are reasons to be sad, but if it's a regular thing, I've got to look at the ROOT CAUSE of it and make a change in my life.

5:39 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yes, I agree, happiness is a rare commodity.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Big old bear hug comming your way. Happiness is a rare commoditiy in todays world.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home