Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Random Thoughts V

I think that I fulfill the original intent of blogging more in these types of entries, to wit, writing spontaneous thoughts for (primarily) myself.

The seasonal affective disorder I mentioned on 1 September is beginning to creep in.
The cat’s death was at a bad time (if there is any ‘good’ time for a pet to die). I feel the same symptoms back up and running; loss of joy, sadness, hopelessness, sleeping more and caring less. On a 1-5 scale (1=mild, 5=worse) it feels a 3, so it could be worse. Like having a bad case of flu, I have to ride this out for some weeks while it lifts/mends.

One of the choir members remembered me on her travels this year. She went to Avila Spain. She recalled my fondness for St. Teresa. She brought back to me a prayer card and a medal. I was very pleased by this surprise gift. I admire St. Teresa in a lot of ways, mostly as she was a woman who did not take ‘no’ for answer and kicked butt. She shook things up all while suffering the worst migraines, illnesses, and self doubt (let alone persecution).
Now she is a Doctor of the Church. I always admire a Warrior, especially in a Woman.

I’ve had more people drop on by my blog. In my 'wanderings' I see my blog listed in others I did not know were there. This delights me that somebody would find it and me interesting. More intriguing is the variety of folks; besides ‘the guys’ I have some mothers and housewives. People from Europe and New Zeeland have found me. This makes a sort of “Communion of Blogs”. I still feel honored to be part of it all.

It is finally getting cooler and darker in Arizona. I look forward to having open windows and air the place out.

Someone is very clever and got our tickets for all 3 upcoming plane trips (Chicago, Michigan, and Costa Rica) using frequent flyer miles; so our budget is in the black for the year.

I am rereading “The Old Curiosity Shop” by Charles Dickens. Some people think it is not ‘essential Dickens’ but I think you can not know Dickens without it. The characters – and deaths – of Little Nell and Daniel Quilp are remarkable pieces of writing.

That’s all for now.

9 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Sounds like life is chugging along as it should for September - except for Tiberius' passing... probably why you are a "3"...

6:46 AM  
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

"Random" things are good, especially thoughts. As you know, my blog is full of "random".

I can relate to the open window. It's a "living in a f-ing desert" that does it to us. :) I left the house open for the first time last night. Nice to wake up to fresh, cool air.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog right after the first and missed the SAD part. I too have it but mine hits in the Jan-Mar time of year. I hate being trapped indoors and when you have little ones that is often true for this time of year. I do experience a sadness when I let go of summer and we step into fall but I keep busy and keep going out and before I know it I am swamped with holidays. It's when life slows down that it hits me like a brick wall. Keep your chin up you can't reason with Mother Nature!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

Your musings are quite interesting, Ur-spo, so I'm not at all surprised by the increase in readership for your blog.

I know it's not AZ, but last night our low dipped into the 40's here in my part of PA. YEE-ASSS!!! (He pumps his fist in the air.) The cumute to work this morning was MAH-velously cool! I am alive again!

8:47 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I used to admire Juan de la Cruz more than Teresa, but lately I've started becoming more and more aware of his super heavy moralizing and despising the body, which I don't find in Teresa's stuff. So she moved up a peg and took Juan's ertwhile spot.
And Dickens is a wonderful writer, isn't he? I think he's underrated. Often I think he's considered a great social worker who happened to write good books. But I disagree. He's a magnificent writer.
Sorry to hear you're under the (seasonal) weather. And still dealing with parting from Tiberius.
Drop me a line, if you like.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Isn't it interesting seeing who comes to your site? I also use sitemeter.com to take a look at who's visiting and how they get recommended to the blog. It's a blessing to have even a handful of people take notice of it.

3:25 PM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I can relate to the sadness, but mine is tied in with the weather - since moving here, with all of the sunny days, I can't say that it exists any more. Clouds and rain, over an extended period of time, pushes me over the edge. I think I've found what I need.

I'm sure the death of your cat didn't help either. That will linger. You will be fine; give it time.

We're very glad that you're here in the world of BLOGGING.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I too suffer from SAD but it comes in October. Right now I am fine but can tell things are chaning.

7:27 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I really love when you write randomly Michael. I think the real person truly emerges when you don't think first and just write. It is also the best way to journal...even if you don't like what you read later, it's honest.

I find exercise helps with the SAD but it is different for each of us. Many times Billie Holiday has pulled me from my funk. I can't imagine being that blue...ever.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home