Friday, September 01, 2006

September Shirt

It is September.
I made this shirt in honor of my love for tomatoes; I love to grow all vegetables but tomatoes are my favorite. Usually at this time of year I am harvesting plenty. When I lived in the Midwest, one year I harvested over 300 heirloom tomatoes – green, yellow, orange, red and purple. I miss growing tomatoes.

The Tarot Card for the month of September – Queen of Swords.
This card usually means trying to hold onto and deal with sorrowful thoughts or events – an apt card, as I usually develop depression in September.
I have a variety of seasonal affective disorder. Seasonal Affective disorder or (“SAD”) is a sort of depression that usually hits in the winter months – people get sluggish, tired, down, eat/sleep more and feel badly for the lack of light. However SAD can be any time; mine hits about now. Some years it is mild, some years it is severe – what keeps me going is the experience it lifts by late October.
Last year I didn’t seem to get much SAD, maybe because I am in Arizona and there are no ‘cues’ of the usual fall colours, smells, and U of Michigan football games a mile away (I used to live down the street from the Stadium in Ann Arbor). I am curious to see if I have ‘licked’ this by moving to Arizona. Treating SAD was my bread and butter in Michigan – I don’t see any here in the Arizona winter. Does anyone out there get SAD?
The irony - I love the autumn! -- the colours, the smells, trips to cider mills, the anticipation of Hallowe’en. This year I want to go with Someone to see fall colours. I even have certain CDs and music associated with the fall; they are played at this time of year like Christmas records are played in December.

I envy Steve at Devious Steve O , Lemuel at The Greedy Maelstrom, and Hanuman at Chai and Sympathy . They have New England autumns to see. How lovely for them!

12 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Add another poor soul with a severe case of SAD. Mine happens after Christmas until about April or so. I just get so down that I end up calling in "sick" a lot for work, and just want to cry. The funny thing is, like you, I live in Arizona so I'm not dealing with the cold blistery cloudy weather.

By the way, what's fall??? :P

8:34 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I actually get up for autumn and winter. If I get SAD, I get it in mid-June thru the end of August. Yesterday was the best day I've had in months. The high was 70 here. Whoppee! And I should send you some of my tomoatoes, but I'm eating them all. ***grin***

Thank you for the envy. I guess I would really have trouble in a climate without changes - and especially without the colors of autumn. They make it worth the summer humidity of PA.

U of M Ann Arbor? Someday I'll have to share some notes.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I am SO GLAD you don't love asparagus...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

If you need some fall colors pics, I can e-mail you some in a few weeks.
Southwest Michigan here. Fall is in the air.
Found your site via your comment on Spider's blog.
I'll be back -- lots to read!
Have a great weekend.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say there's work to be done.

2:05 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I remember a post on tomatoes earlier this year and now the shirt. I will have to get on the requested tomato blog.

As for SAD...I never experienced it in CA but I'm now a victim come March and it sticks around until late June. These NW springs just linger and linger and...oh I dread it.

At least for now I get to enjoy the coming of fall and the turning of leaves. The grass will soon be green again and the mornings cool, crisp and bright. We tend to get more sun in the fall/winter than the rest of the year although it is cool.

8:13 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Wait...you even add your personal label. I'm truly impressed!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Bloooog said...

I love autumn! The trees changing colors by the river at my college was one of the most breathtaking sites ever.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

You should see the Laurentides in Automn!?

My Bday is in September!? Guess I'm a SAD person!? lol

A time will not depress me!?

J

10:19 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

The lack of seasons is the biggest reason I am glad not to be living in San Diego anymore. I'm so looking forward to Fall in the city. I live by a park and the thought of leaves actually changing colors truly excites me. I can hardly wait.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

This will be my first time to *really* see autumn - New England style. It's getting a little chilly here (I'm a Florida boy, so sue me), but you're right, the sights and smell of things about to change is exciting.

5:25 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I noted that you made that shirt. That's a very cool hobby, making one's own clothers. And (I'm combining comments here) it is a pernicious temptation to give too much weight to possible "effect" and less to simple expression. I find myself falling into that sometimes.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home