Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Eve of St. Agnes


Tomorrow Sunday is St. Agnes Day.
Tradition is: young maidens on the Eve of St. Agnes will dream of their future husband.

St. Agnes Day is traditionally the coldest day of the year.
In theory it is supposed to get warmer now with each day.

It certainly has been ‘cold’ here, what with temperatures dropping down into the lower 30s even into the upper 20s – in Phoenix. It only gets into the lower 60s now. And it rained! Making everything seem chilled and damp.

Today is the day I traditionally read the poem “The Eve of St. Agnes” by Keats.
It is a long poem but very lovely. I remember my high school English teacher reading this out loud to us.
The poem is too long to reproduce here, but here is the link for those interested;

http://www.bartleby.com/126/39.html

Here’s looking forward to some warmer/brighter days.

9 Comments:

Blogger maggie said...

Tradition is: young maidens on the Eve of St. Agnes will dream of their future husband.

So I guess I should go to bed early tonite! :)

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hear that Albert! Maybe tonight you'll dream of Danny Pinituro.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a funny guy Foxy!!!
Happy St Agnes day Spo! I still want some cold snowy days so I hope it takes it's time! You will dream of Someone tonight and then should come to Canada to get married!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I am familiar with this poem, so to the printer it went (12 pages!) when I can read it more leisurely and keep it with my other books of poetry.

I only want to know if the dream thing works for married gay-wannabes.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool poem, thanks for that.
How lucky are you? Costa Rica in a few weeks. I can't wait to hear about your time. Don't forget that camera!!

6:31 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

It's very cold here too, with quite a lot of wind. We should start to warm up soon though. Think spring, or thing sprink as my dad always says.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Let's hope it starts to warm up. It has been above the mid 20's all week. Tonight is warm, it's 23. And we are supposed to get snow, in fact it's snowing now.

Happy St. Agnes Day.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Well I guess a young man (that's moi) can dream of future husbands too. LOL. Have a good weekend Spo!

3:03 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

I don't think Mother Nature listens to that tradition here.

The colder days have yet to come.

I'm off to read the poem.

Thanks!?

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home